need help which rings too use?

Scalpel

trying too decide medium 1.00 rings or high 1.125 for mounting my NF 3.5x15x50 scope, the gun is a surgeon scalpel , heavy contour barrel , base has 20 MOA . Iam pretty sure the mediums will clear but it just seems alot of long range rifles are set up with higher than needed rings, is this for tradjectory ?

I use mediums for on my MK 4. I like them. I dont have an adjustable cheekpiece so I find that with the highs I get poor cheekweld. I also find the highs too bulky, but hey... whats a quater inch?

I have Med Burris Tactical rings on my Surgeon action with a Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm. There is about 1/4" gap between the 4" sunshade and the heavy contour barrel. For best results the scope should be mounted as low as possible without hitting the barrel.

I have a Savage target action with a heavy straight contour barrel with a EGW 20 MOA rail on it with a 50mm scope on top. I had 1" high 30mm rings which I replaced with 1/2" (medium) 30mm Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. This brought my scope down to about 3/8" from the barrel. Now I have sent back the medium rings to be replaced with the 1/4" (low) rings. I am hoping that with the low rings I will still have enough room to put flip up lens covers without touching the barrel.

joseph

The EGW base is kind of tall and I had to trade in my Burris Signature high rings in for the mediums to fit my Burris Black Diamond 50mm.
Tarey

Was reading this thread and got to thinking what the differance dope would be using low rings to high rings so I got on my ballistic calculator and here is the following results:

just using generic info .308, 220 gr, 3000fps, 0 altitude, 29.92, no wind, 59 degrees, 500 meters,

with a sight in at 100 meters

1st using a scope height of 1.5 inches it shows the dope for 500 meters at 9.89 moa adjustment

2nd using a scope height of 2.5 inches shows the dope for 500 meters at 9.19 moa adjustment

Shows me that moa adjustment for a higher scope mount actually goes down

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.