Need help on shaving some weight

Where would you cut weight?

• Go with the ABS barrel and the regular weight A-5. Good compromise, and you’ll like the balance.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Use the #6 Krieger barrel and ‘Edge Fill’. Barrel weight is important.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Shut up and grow a pair, 14lbs isn’t that bad and you’ll need that extra weight to shoot 1k.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Other solution (please post suggestion.)

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
You're going to have an awfully hard time coming up with a rifle you can shoot sub MOA at 1000yds in a light format.

All else being equal, heavier is steadier and steadier is more accurate.

Those days are gone, it's not hard to build a rifle that will be well sub moa at a grand that weights in the 6 lb class before glass, the shoot does have to learn how to shoot them well but that's an other issue from the rifle accuracy.

Those days are gone, it's not hard to build a rifle that will be well sub moa at a grand that weights in the 6 lb class before glass, the shoot does have to learn how to shoot them well but that's an other issue from the rifle accuracy.
The rest of the industry wants to know your secret. If it wasn't difficult they'd be commonplace and reasonably priced.

I agree with bigngreen, the 1990's are over now, spend some time practicing.

It still a somewhat free country if you want to lug a heavy rifle around, go ahead , I won't mind.

The rest of the industry wants to know your secret. If it wasn't difficult they'd be commonplace and reasonably priced.
There's no secret to it just light components that are top notch quality. Then learn to shoot it. I'll probably never hunt with a rifle over 9 lbs ever again cause there no reason to and you loose so much versatility with more weight and gain nothing but weight.

It is quite common place in my neighborhood but quality doesn't come cheap for anything in this world.

again are you shooting more than 2 shots at a game animal out to 1000 yards ? Are missing a lot ?

There's no secret to it just light components that are top notch quality. Then learn to shoot it. I'll probably never hunt with a rifle over 9 lbs ever again cause there no reason to and you loose so much versatility with more weight and gain nothing but weight.
No amount of practice can change the laws of physics. The human body causes movement with every heartbeat and breath or movement of any muscle group at all.
Then comes all the environmental factors such as crosswinds that impart even more energy which can cause movement.

I'd rather carry a few more pounds and reduce or eliminate as many of the variables contributing to blown shots as possible.

It is quite common place in my neighborhood but quality doesn't come cheap for anything in this world.

again are you shooting more than 2 shots at a game animal out to 1000 yards ? Are missing a lot ?
Hank I don't miss much period. I try to only take the high percentage one shot kill shot in every circumstance.

If I wasn't achieving that with the rifles I own I'd sell ten or twenty of them and replace them with a couple of high end customs.

Key word in his post is "easy".
It doesn't take much money or effort to achieve what is "easy".

No amount of practice can change the laws of physics. The human body causes movement with every heartbeat and breath or movement of any muscle group at all.
Then comes all the environmental factors such as crosswinds that impart even more energy which can cause movement.

I'd rather carry a few more pounds and reduce or eliminate as many of the variables contributing to blown shots as possible.

You just need to break out of your method!! A fellow gun builder friend put together a 6.5 Creedmore that with almost no load development puts down sub 1/2 moa 5 shot at 1000 and WITH optic is just over 6 lbs, I just finished a bigger 7mm cal that with a heavy optic is just over 8 lbs and it dropped a 3 inch group at 1000 during load development.
A light gun that shoots awesome and shooting a light gun awesome are two different things, if your going to have both your going to have to learn to do it. I haven't seen my heart beat in an optic in years, if your hanging onto a rifle that hard that explains not shooting a light one well and not understanding how others can.

I am building a lightweight medium (700-800) range rifle as we speak. .280AI. I have found several ways to shed a little weight at a time. Besides the big ticket items of course. Here is a list of my build and my weight shaving attempts.

This rifle started out life a long time ago as a .30-06 carbine length factory rifle I rescued from a pawn shop for the action only.

I turned it into a laser beam .25-06AI about 14 years ago, just knowing I was due for an AZ antelope tag (which I STILL have not drawn by the way). 28" Shilen #4, B&C Medalist stock, steel Picatinny Rail, Steiner 5-25×56T5Xi. It weighed about 11.2#. Not terrible to carry, and has killed a lot of deer, coyote, etc over the past 14 years.

This year, I decided to lighten it up and change it to a carry deer/back up elk rifle.

Here are the items I am doing to it and the weight savings per each item.

Proof Research 26" Sendero Light=15oz savings
Manners EH1=15oz savings after bedding
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50=8oz savings
Seekins alloy Picatinny rail=4oz savings
Seekins alloy 30mm low rings=.5oz savings
Spiral flute bolt body=1.7oz savings
Carbon fiber bolt knob=3oz savings
Alloy bolt shround=2oz savings

49oz total weight savings so far, or just over 3 full pounds. I could have saved a few more by going with a TI action, but at an additional $1k. Not sure where else I could shave weight. I am pretty sure it already has an alloy BDL bottom metal, but I will check it before Cerakote to verify.

You just need to break out of your method!! A fellow gun builder friend put together a 6.5 Creedmore that with almost no load development puts down sub 1/2 moa 5 shot at 1000 and WITH optic is just over 6 lbs, I just finished a bigger 7mm cal that with a heavy optic is just over 8 lbs and it dropped a 3 inch group at 1000 during load development.
A light gun that shoots awesome and shooting a light gun awesome are two different things, if your going to have both your going to have to learn to do it. I haven't seen my heart beat in an optic in years, if your hanging onto a rifle that hard that explains not shooting a light one well and not understanding how others can.
My "method" has been serving me well since the early seventies.

No doubt you build a fine rifle but you can't defeat nor change the rules of the physical universe in which heavier is steadier and steady is more accurate.

In the real world of hunting and shooting more variables come into play than just the skill of the shooter and they all affect our ability to make a clean, accurate, cold bore shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.