Need help choosing a combo

gun)Ive read good things about savage rifles. Im actually leaning more toward the 10fp 308 now that ive been researching since about 10 oclock. Apparently, it will shoot .5 moa out of the box. But the same issue prevails with the flimsy stock. Plus it has the accu-trigger....which ive been a fan of since i owned a springfield xd. Im so add when it comes to this stuff....BLAHHHHH. gun)

The new Savage accustock has an aluminum rail in it that stiffens it up so you don't get the flimsy feeling.
I have a TC encore that has the plastic forend that moves all over the place and I poured some Devcon bedding compound in the bottom and it stopped the side to side movement. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the Savage stock but I ordered a Tactical stock from Kevin at Stockade gun stocks.

Savage makes a good rifle. I recently shot a friend's 308. I'm not sure of the model, but it had a varmint contour barrel and what appeared to be an HS Precision stock. It shot .5 to .75moa with 150grain FMJ (read: junk factory ammo).

Remington SPS or Savage, either way, both are good platforms to start with.

has anyone heard anything about this 56mm "leapers" scope? i searched for reviews on it but no one seems to have any. its a nice looking scope for 195 dollars. but looks can be deceiving.

A 56mm objective is a mighty big bell. I would worry about getting a good cheek weld on a sporting rifle.
Now if you have an adjustable cheek piece on your new stock you could make it work easily,...

Yes i had planned on buying the adjustable cheek piece .280 had pointed out to me its $75 i believe it said? Im not sure if it will work on the B&C tactical stock though (the b&c tactical is also compatible with the savage).

Rob,
I have a Leapers and my Brother has one on his 300 win mag Sendoro. It is a very good scope for the money. My brother has been saving for a Nightforce and had the Leapers for a few years.
We shoot a lot of long range rocks out to 1100 yards and the Leapers seems to dial up and down pretty well. The model is the 8-32x56 accushot with mildots. Pretty clear and for the money I don't think you can beat it.
I had one on my 6br before I bought the Nightforce and it killed a lot of rodents with no issues. I moved mine to my 300 win mag and managed to shear off two sets of Leupold rings and once I put a set of Warne rings on it the zero never shifted.
I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.