Neck expander

I de-prime with the Lee Universal de-priming die, and remove the expander/de-primer spindle assembly from my sizing dies.

I just got an expander mandrel system from: http://portersprecisionproducts.com/ after having the Sinclair system for a couple of months. I think that the Porter System is a far better idea. You can buy gauge pins in whatever size you want, you are not limited to what Sinclair or any of the other vendors that use this design offer in expander sizes (so far it looks like those are all the same regardless of vendor). Porter offers pins in two sizes for each caliber, but if necessary you can buy regular gauge pins in small increments and add the lead-in chamfer. Can think of this system as being the inverse of a bushing sizing die.

Based on my limited samples, gauge pins are far more round than expander mandrels.

One of the reasons that I use the Sinclair mandrel die is to eliminate the dreaded donut that is created by the expander ball. SO....I do remove the expander ball from all of my resizing dies and use a mandrel to neck size all of the cartridges that I reload for. I reload for a .270 Ackley Improved so there's a lot of brass moving going on, from what I read on this forum moving brass in the neck area "will" cause the donut if it is moved from the inside of the casing. I am not an expert on this, but from what I read there are two ways to eliminate the donut, (1) resize and neck size with an expander plug and ream the case necks, (2) mandrel neck size and turn the necks; I prefer the mandrel neck sizing and turning the necks. This makes sense to me because I can control neck tension by changing mandrels, plus I get the necks trued up in the process.

I have the Lee Universal De-priming tool, which works fine. But I prefer to use this tool, and de-prime while watching tv in the evening.

The tool seems a little finicky, but really works fine once you get used to it. I have even used it to remove crimped primers, though that reqires a fair amount of grip force.

Then, I prefer using a body die, as I too feel a standard full length sizing die with the primer pin removed necks the brass down too far.

Vettepilot

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just chucked the depriming pin in my lathe and turned the expander ball down so there is no contact with the case after resizing. Works great
Thats what I do. If you have a lathe, why not make your own mandrels? I do, and it saves money and waiting for the delivery. Plus they are always the perfect size.

Yep! As a matter of fact, just got through making an expander mandrel on the lathe for my 50 Beowulf. When coming down on the last 1/4 thou, you can put a nice micro polish finish on them which makes them work smoother and is nicer to the brass. And there's that satisfaction of having made a needed tool or accessory yourself.

I made mine to fit inside a LEE universal expander die like NOE Molds does theirs.

Vettepilot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.