Neck crimping?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, Met a fella today at the range and got to visiting and talking about reloading. He ended up loaning me a lee neck crimper die for 25-06 that he had. He stated that ineck crimping made a big diffrence for his accuracy. As I'm new to reloading I had never heard of neck crimping. What can yal tell me about it and does it assist with accuracy or velocity diffrences? Any info on this is appreciated. Thank's, Brad

Neck crimping bottle nose rifle cases like your 25-06 is not necessary - unless they are to be loaded in a tubular magazine. In fact, doing so may increase chamber pressures excessively.

I crimp some of my cartridges because I've dropped a box of cartridges and had the bullets seat deeper in the case.

I crimp my 357 cartridges because the instructions on my die set pertaining to bullet seating instructed me to crimp while seating.

I crimp my 30-30 cartridges so when being in the tube mag upon firing the bullets before or behind the others don't push the bullets deeper in the case.

I have loads that shoot .5moa that are crimped. I have loads that have shot .125moa that aren't crimped. I don't attribute inaccuracy or accuracy to a crimp itself; but loads that were developed with a crimp get a crimp, those developed without a crimp don't get crimped.

Last edited:
I would think crimping has nothing to do with tubular magazines, its setting the primers off with using pointed bullets that I'd be worried about.. Crimping is more a military use, as well as primers being crimped, allowing the rounds to be more durable especially the beating they take in auto or semi-auto weapons..

Using a crimp in a 25-06 i agree is not necessary.. I don't use it in mine and have considered it but its just another step not needed (extra work)... and doesnt do anything extra for accuracy, except more consideration in charging the round.. combine that with potentially loading to touch the rifling and I would not want to go through that permutation..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.