Neck Crimping Advice

Nice sharpshooting, buddy.

To physically squeeze, for instance, .024" in wall thickness and .308" in bullet into a roll die, where do you think the material goes as it enters the die section that is less than .332?

Granted, that's an extreme example but you get the idea. The other thing that happens is neck walls are extruded at the mouth, leading to early neck cracks.

Yes, people do crimp non- cannelure bullets. It's just not the best way, or the recommended way to address the OP's issue.

Yup

And unless your brass is exactly the same length, or you spend a lot of time tuning each crimp, you get varying forces and and large deviations in bullet grip. Whatever your es is with a crimp it will be lower without.

For very accurate LR ammo crimping is a bad idea.
Even in ar's i dont crimp. .002 neck tension is more than enough.

If just plinking loads or pistol have at it.

There ya go. I should have specified the Lee factory crimp die which is what I use. For $30 or so they are certainly worth trying.

Gentlemen,

This doesn't happen by magic and you cannot get around the physics. Here's what Lee has to say about it:

Now where do you think that crimp groove will be formed?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.