Navigation courses?

bigtime9

I see a lot of posts on which gps to buy but haven't seen anything on old school navigation with a map and compass. Does anyone know of any courses offered or somewhere I could learn this skill? Preferably in person I really dislike YouTube and trying to learn off the internet. I'm very interested in learning how to navigate without a gps.

I see a lot of posts on which gps to buy but haven't seen anything on old school navigation with a map and compass. Does anyone know of any courses offered or somewhere I could learn this skill? Preferably in person I really dislike YouTube and trying to learn off the internet. I'm very interested in learning how to navigate without a gps.

For quite a few years I held a merchant mariners captains license, also known as a Coast Guard license because that agency issues the license, renewals and upgrades, and of coarse also can revoke them.
The test for the license is as a rule taken after a lengthy coarse has been taken by a qualified person. There are several sections to the examination including navigation. It is done the old fashioned way
of plotting, using the basic tools, a chart and math.
There would be good references available on the subject for marine use, which the same principles would apply anywhere.
If there is a Coast Guard Auxillary located nearby contact them, because they also offer at least basic classes on navigation.
As with many things, learning to use the tools is the biggest obstacle.

I did a fair amount of backcountry hunting and skiing before the days of GPS and rangefinders, so I have some map/compass/altimeter skills.

Finding an orienteering group would be a good way to learn, but would probably be a slow process. I would suggest self study and then if you want to take things to the next level consider a club. A big part of it, is learning to be proficient and that just takes practice. Sort of like long range shooting in that aspect I guess.

I also suggest using a good old fashioned book to learn with. A book, compass, map, and a weekend to camp and play can be a lot of fun. Here is a book I still have in my collection "Finding Your Way in the Outdoors". It's a good book and can be found cheap. It was written before the GPS came along so it doesn't waste time teaching you to use one!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG6BPP8/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Here's the 1990 reprint with good updates:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0696110326/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Last edited:
Back in the day, most outdoor stores that offered classes had some kind of orienteering program you could attend. Now they have classes for changing the batteries in your gps. I'd google "orienteering classes" in your area since it's all the same skills. It may also be offered in a Community Education program in the local Community College. If that doesn't get your started, get this book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470407654/?tag=lrhmag19-20
It used to be any place that sold maps and compasses always had this book for sale. It's for beginners, has just the right amount of illustrations and will teach you pretty much everything you need to know. I say it's for beginners but after a few short pages, your gonna know way more than most about land navigation and feel like your totally getting it. With a few after-work field trips to practice your skills your gonna have a ton of confidence. Using a compass has gotten me out of maybe a half-dozen jams. Better start thinking about what your going to put all your new maps in!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, for Physical Education, we had a thing where we were taught some basic principles of orienteering. Apparently it was throughout the school district because one day, all the surrounding schools had a field trip where we all went to a local park (it was big) and the school dist. laid out a orienteering course. I was kicking butt, but just couldn't find one of the last way points. Story of my life ehhh! Anyway, it was cool. We even had a Gun Safety Class. I can't for the life of me, understand why more schools don't teach kids these types of things. Lord forbid they'd teach you anything that doesn't involve a drink screwed into your fist.

I teach land navigation on a regular basis as part of the Infantry courses I run/instruct, actually just tested some guys on it this morning. If you are ever my way I will plug you into the training if ya like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.