Mystery Ranch terraframe 80

dsharpe1

I was wondering if anyone has used the Terraframe 80 for backcountry elk hunts? I have a giftcard for REI and which is why I am considering that pack. If I decide to get something else I will just use the card for something else.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Terraframe 80 for backcountry elk hunts? I have a giftcard for REI and which is why I am considering that pack. If I decide to get something else I will just use the card for something else.
It's not a hunting pack to state the obvious. I have the terraframe 65 and a series of others for regular hiking.

The hunting equivalent-ish is the Mystery Ranch Marshall.

I personally like having a meat hauling shelf on a pack, especially if I'm hiking elk out. Even more so if I'm doing it alone. My bag is already full of stuff for a week in the field, I wouldn't be able to fit much meat in the bag without it.

As far as Mystery Ranch bags, it's what I like and use.

I have several Dana packs (What Dana made before he started MR) and an MR crewcab right now, great packs. A Terraplane 6500 was the first pack I legitimatly wore out from use...after 16 years.

But for the price I'd rather go with an American made brand, Kifaru is where my money is going and they have a much stronger hunting focus on their design IMHO. Other strong option are the .mil MR packs which are US made but I hate that they don't make it clear which packs in their line are American made vs overseas.

I have a buddy who has a Terraframe 80 that he uses for elk hunting. He bought it because it was pretty cheap on Sierra.com a few years ago. It works fine for him and he likes it. It has a load shelf and everything. My other buddies have the MR Metcalf and I think the Terraframe bag is a much better layout. The only thing is that his Terraframe has the Guide Lite frame and my other buddies with the Metcalf had the Guide Lite MT frame. Also, the Terraframe isn't camo, but that's not big deal in my opinion.

I have a buddy who has a Terraframe 80 that he uses for elk hunting. He bought it because it was pretty cheap on Sierra.com a few years ago. It works fine for him and he likes it. It has a load shelf and everything. My other buddies have the MR Metcalf and I think the Terraframe bag is a much better layout. The only thing is that his Terraframe has the Guide Lite frame and my other buddies with the Metcalf had the Guide Lite MT frame. Also, the Terraframe isn't camo, but that's not big deal in my opinion.
It's on the guide lite MT now.

Best pack I have found is EXO Mountain gear. Easy to adjust to your body size. Mine is a gen 2 that I bought about 5 years ago. They are now about to release gen 4.
great pack and great support. Made in Boise Idaho. Not very well known but very impressive pack.

IMO the Terraframe 80 would make a good pack. I was prepared to buy one but ended up buying a different pack system only because it was a good deal.

The Terraftame 80 looks like everything I would need in a mountain West hunting pack.

IMO the Terraframe 80 would make a good pack. I was prepared to buy one but ended up buying a different pack system only because it was a good deal.

The Terraftame 80 looks like everything I would need in a mountain West hunting pack.
I think if I can fit my spotter and tripod in the external pockets I'll probably get it

If you're on a budget or it's what you have the Terraplane 80 will work just fine as a hunting pack. My first pack was a Gregory from REI and to be honest I think it was more comfortable with weight than the KUIU that I replaced it with. I then went to a MR Sawtooth 80. Which was a good solid pack and carried weight well. But was a little on the heavy side. Now I'm using a Kifaru