Rocking R Ranch Trophy Photos

Rocking R Ranch

I thought I would start a new thread for the 2014 hunting season. I will post photos of hunters with their elk this year. Thought this would be fun since the trail camera thread is over for the year. Please feel free to comment or post questions. Thanks.

Archery: We had four guys hunt opening weekend for 2 1/2 days. 3 out of 4 hunters had shots and we took one bull. Both misses were under 30 yards. Bulls were bugling quite a bit and the bigger bulls have already begun gathering cows. Overall, the hunting was excellent.

We won't take any hunters until September 13th. I will update when that hunt begins.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1055.jpg
    DSCF1055.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 127
How in the world do you miss a bull at under 30 yards for cripes sake! They must have been rookies and were all shook up when they were that close.

How in the world do you miss a bull at under 30 yards for cripes sake! They must have been rookies and were all shook up when they were that close.

One archer's arrow blew up on a branch (branch was close to the hunter, not the bull so he thought he was clear of it). The other misjudged the distance. Anything can happen in the heat of the moment when there isn't time for a rangefinder. Everyone had a great hunt though.

There is nothing like chasing bulls during the September rut! I'm heading out to the BigHorns in Wyoming next week to help a guy on his archery hunt and then I have the whole month of October out there to hunt elk, deer, and antelope with a couple of friends that live out there. If I wasn't married to a big city girl, I'd move out there yesterday!

Great thread, tagging in. Will be fun to follow as the hunting season progresses. It's great to see an outfitter be so active and transparent in this forum.

Dan - Was it unusual to hear as much bugling as you did on opening weekend?

I wouldn't say unusual. Some years there is a lot of bugling during opening weekend. It depends on so many factors, most of which are obviously centered around the cows and their estrus cycles.
I am heading up tomorrow for a week. I will report back regarding the bugling and the overall hunting.
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.