Mystery Ranch Pintler or ?

I decided to try out the MR Sawtooth 45 for this year because my dad also drew an elk tag with me and I wanted to go with something that would be comfortable in the event I have to haul out 2 elk, he's getting up there in age and also has a very bad knee. Some of the reviews I read said even tho the MR packs were heavier, they more comfortable and their new guide light mt frame is supposed to be even more comfortable than the regular guide light frame. Would have loved to try out an exo or initial ascent but price was a factor and I just needed something to say hunt with, don't need something capable of overnight hunts just yet.

The pintler is a great day or one night bag. However since I got my SG Solo 3300 I haven't used it since. Check out the Stone Glacier with the x-curve frame. Way more comfortable with 100lbs in it in my experience.

Another vote for Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Well worth the money, especially if you like to get out far from any roads or trails.

I went through all of this. I still like the EXO and the new Kuiu packs, but I bought the MR Marshall. Cinches down tight when I want a day pack but its big enough for carry days of gear. I went with MR because they are nearly indestructible. If you pack em right, you can carry my ex-wife in one. AND, once a year I find MR packs on a super sale. Bought mine last 4th of July for $399 and my son got one this year for $379. Might have been Memorial Day. So in fairness $250-300 will settle my mind, but I was heavily considering MR when I found the sale.
(Side note... I have not tried this, she said she was going too visit a friend, I have no idea where she went).

About to pull the trigger on a new Mystery Ranch Pintler. Curious if there is another pack to look in to that I missed. My goal is a day pack that will double as a meat hauler. I like the Metcalf but am having trouble finding one in stock, plus it cost more.

Last year I used the Badlands Superday. When the elk was down I had to hike back to the vehicle to get my surplus rucksack I had brought along to pack out the meat. It was a nice hike but a waste of valuable time. I would like to try and avoid it.
Thanks
I use the Mystery Ranch Pop-up 28 for elk hunting. My requirements were a day pack that could haul meat next to the frame, that I could securely attach my rifle to when walking in and out in the dark or riding a mountain bike, be able to attach a pistol holster to the hip belt(molle), and also work as an overnighter if needed but primarily as a day pack.

With the pop up feature down, it can get very compact and is nice for getting through heavy brush. With the pop up feature up it becomes load bearing and gives a high point to attach the rifle forestock to and the butt stock rests in a Kifaru gun bearer sling. I have a Blackhawk Sherpa holster on the right side and added a Kuiu hip belt pouch and extra mag pouch to the left side.

I haven't had the chance to haul meat yet but I do use a 40 lb sand bag in it for training and it carries it well. 95% of the time I am not carrying meat. It is well built and durable. I think it's rated at only 90 lbs or so and that might be pushing it. We always carry pack frames in the truck so my thought was that I could at least get the first load out (a front quarter and backstrap) and come back with the pack frames less all the gear that was in the day pack for the heavier loads.

For overnighters I use an Osprey 30L dry bag that rides on the load shelf between the pack and frame that holds my overnight gear: tent, sleeping bag and pad, pillow, cook cup and stove. As food is eaten some of that gear can move to the main pack or lashed to the outside if the load shelf is needed for meat.

The pack is 4 lbs 14.4 ozs. which is heavy for a day pack but considering it's versatility that's not too bad. I paid about $269 with 10% off from Optics Planet. If you want to double that I might look at the Exo packs if you need more volume and the ability to carry more weight, honestly...I don't want to carry more weight:)

I'm sure the Pintler and any other MR pack are good durable packs, it just depends on your particular requirements.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I run a MR Pintler as my 2 day sheep pack works well I also had a couple outside pockets made up for a bit extra storage and my spotting scope. If I was doing it again I would go to the Metcalf. I found pintler to be good for a max 2 days but I do pack very light for 2 days Sheep hunting.
One thing I really like is the price point and they are very comfortable packs.

I looked at the KUIU 3600. I have always liked their stuff. Maybe I'm missing something with this pack but it looks like to pack out meat, I would have to put it inside the pack? With the Mystery Ranch it has the load sling. I'm still learning all the details of these packs so maybe I'm overlooking stuff.
You can put a deer between the pack and the frame on a KUIU. My son, grown son, packed a whole Coues deer on his easy. I will try and find the picture.

I have the MS Pintler. The frame and meat packout is great. I wish the bag was a hair bigger. My KUIU 3200 was a better size.

If I remember right, the MR packs seemed to be a little heavier than the KUIU and maybe even the exo's...its not a lot, I was looking at a metcalf and i think it was 6lbs vs the 4.5lbs of the KUIU 3600. I might be a little bit off, but I think my numbers are close. And the KUIU's aren't that much more than the Sale price MRs.

If I remember right, the MR packs seemed to be a little heavier than the KUIU and maybe even the exo's...its not a lot, I was looking at a metcalf and i think it was 6lbs vs the 4.5lbs of the KUIU 3600. I might be a little bit off, but I think my numbers are close. And the KUIU's aren't that much more than the Sale price MRs.
You're correct. There are lighter pack. Most packs are lighter but in durability, MR is tops and super comfortable with way more weight than you want to carry. If you're the guy who cuts your toothbrush in half to save weight... well... whatever. If you're planning on packing a heap on your hips and back you won't be sorry you're doing it with a mystery ranch

Screenshot_20190815-142809.png
I looked at the KUIU 3600. I have always liked their stuff. Maybe I'm missing something with this pack but it looks like to pack out meat, I would have to put it inside the pack? With the Mystery Ranch it has the load sling. I'm still learning all the details of these packs so maybe I'm overlooking stuff.
Here is my father with half a Coues deer on his KUIU Icon Pro with a 3200 bag on it.

Well Fellas, Thank you for all of the recommendations and insight to the different packs. I ended up ordering the MR Pintler from Scheels. I had seen their sale yesterday and decided to go for it. Every year I wait till the last minute to buy some things and then I cant find what I want in stock. I also tossed around the idea of waiting for one to pop up in the classifieds but I always seam to be a day late and a dollar short on the good classified deals. I also wanted to get a pack so I can get it incorporated into my training regimen and get it broke in to me, or is it me broke in to it? The MR Selway pack that was mentioned from Optics Planet was also a nice deal for a new pack at $300. I decided on the Pintler over the Selway because the Pintler looks to be a built out of heavier duty material, ...but at a cost of some ounces. I think it will be the right size daypack + meat hauler for me. This pack is also mentioned in just about every thread about hunting packs so either it is a good pack or MR has good advertising or maybe both? Last, at $356 from Scheels it was still affordable. Thanks again

If you decide you need more space you can get the other bags from MR and use your new frame. Congratulations

This too. It looks like their are options from big to small with this frame. I would think other brands are like this too with different pack options?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.