My M1-A with Springfield Gen 4 scope mount

Riceguy

Anyone out there use the Springfield Gen 4 Aluminum scope mount on their M1A?
I installed one on my M1A that I've had for 30 plus years. I trained on it while in the Army back in the 60's (love that Rifle)
As my eye sight is somewhat dimming with age I decided to mount some optics on it. Settled on the Scope mount that Springfield recommend.
Also decided on the Vortex 1x8 Strike Force Scope with an Illuminated reticle.

Well I installed my Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8 on my Springfield Gen 4 Aluminum Scope Mount for my M1-A. I did exactly how Vortex instructed on their Utube Video. Using the Torque Specifications that they recommended.
I laser sighted it and took it out to my 100 yard range. Shot it and got it on the target. Proceeded to attempt to dial it in!! That's when the trouble started. I would fire a shot on make the correction as I normally do. Should have been zeroed after 2 to 3 shots. WRONG, One shot would be fine the next one might be 4- 5 inches off!! The loads are very accurate Nosler 168 gr match behind IMR 4895. Use that load on my 8 other 308 Rifles. Took my M1A scout out with a zero power Red Dot sight and proceeded to put 3 shots within a 1 inch group. So I knew it wasn't me or the load that was at fault.
Came home and searched Utube about the Gen 4 Scope mount. Lo and behold I'm not the only one that has had problems with the Mount. Some had given up on it and others said to re-tighten the Mount. So I have done that and will take it back out today to see if it improves.
Plus the Rifle failed to eject completely on about every 4 round?? Never had that problem before. Ruined the brass when it only ejected half way. Not sure what is causing that.
Any suggestion?

If you can live with optics only and not reversible, find a Navy SSR mount. There is a guy on the M14 Forum, who goes by CrazyNoto sells the mounts he machined.

Back when I shot the 14 types in competition I tried just about offerings out there for load work. None of them maintained zero.

For my hunting rifle, I machined the barrel from 1.25 blank and used the SSR mount. I can tell you, no other mount beats them.

20201114_122206.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, will look into it.

You can see the front mount is sandwiched between the barrel and receiver. Sort of like a 700 recoil lug downside up. The rear mount is held between the rear sight ears.

CrazyNoto can provide guidance what to do with a barreled receiver. Or, he can machine the barrel shoulder to accommodate the mount.

Last edited: