My first build

eshorebwhntr

This was my first complete build. I've got a M700 in 270 that was my Dad's that was 25 years old that I had rebarreld by Hart. I also have a 6.5 SAUM I bought second hand from the classifieds here. But this was my first project start to finish.

-7mm STW - .313 Neck - throated for 180 Bergers
-Donor Rem 700 Action - trued, bushed, lugs lapped, bedded, GTR lite steel firing pin...the whole 9 by Gre'-Tan Rifles
-Kreiger 5R - 28" finished length - fluted - #8 contour
-Grey Bull Precision Stock
-Vias Break
-Bolt fluted and tactical knob by Kampfeld Customs
-Jewell Trigger set at 2.5 lbs
-Leupold Mark 4 base (20moa), rings, and 6.5-20x50
-All metal Cerakote finished with the "aluminum" color
-Total weight was 12lb 12oz

Did the barrel break in this past weekend and started the load work up. Shot H-1000 very well and Retumbo was a little faster. Both powders produced sub .75 moa at 100 yards and accuracy was slightly better with "jam" loads I tried than the "jump". Going to keep working on the loads and hopefully get her in the .5 moa range.

Really like the stock. My first "tactical" stock with a vertical pistol grip style handle. Couldn't be more happy with the look, feel, and accuracy so far with the rifle. Didn't have my camera to post pics of the groups but will sometime in the future.

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the 7 STW caliber. Good looking rifle.
Could you post a pic of how the rear of the stock sits on the support leg of the polecat tripod?

Nice looking rifle, what velocity did you get with the 180g
just put one together for a mate 7 mmSTW 28" barrel, with the 180g hes getting 3135fps. Its already accounted for a deer at 830 yards

The barrel weighs approx. 5.75-6.0 lbs.

I've added what pictures I have to show how the stock sits on the rest. Hopefully you can see what you were looking for from these pics. I will say that the gun sat on the rest much better than I expected. I thought the rest wouldn't handle the weight of the heavier gun well but it did.

The loads I chrono'ed were around 3050 with H-1000 and 3090 with Retumbo. I haven't had any signs of pressure yet so I'm going to continue working up to get a little more speed and hopefully get more accurate or stay in the same ball park. I had the chamber cut for 3.850 COAL so that I would have the extra case capacity to push the velocity envelope a little past what is expected of the standard STW.

Thanks for the kind words from all.

Nice looking rifle, I also have a 7 STW that I really enjoy shooting. I have not taken any animals with it, as I have other rifles that I favor at this time, but in time the STW will get its chance. Also, still in load development.

Thats a really nice build. If you are interested in being able to snap the butt stock onto the arm, give me a call or email. If you or Greg didn't fill it, the little extra hole right behind the pistol grip is pre threaded for our stud and the other flexible part replaces the Y. Or if you just put a 10/32" threaded sling stud or machine bolt in there you can keep the Y on the arm and it gives it something to sit against. The sticks work pretty good anyway, but after some use they loosen up a bit and the arm sometimes wants to fall away or lose contact as you adjust the rifle.

We don't actively market our set-up yet due to a couple material issues, but it does work slick when you can't get prone.

That is a sharp rig!

Last edited:
Don,

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look into that sometime soon and get in touch with you. I like the sticks too but for my skill level about 550-600 yds is about the max I want to be shooting at anything important off of them. Anything to improve the stability is a plus though.

You guys really did it right with this stock too. I love it. Whenever my bank account gets built back up from this build I'm going to put one of the short action models on my 6.5 RSAUM. I love the stock on my STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.