My day at the range...

Ian M

Took Winchester and Remington to the range today. Six trucks there when I drove in. Headed to the archery ranges instead so that Winchester and Remington could get some quality time. Remington is a running fool, lean and lanky and more or less out of control when he is moving fast. IQ in the low minus numbers. He must have put on a couple of miles checking every gopher hole on the property. Winchester stays closer, he is not built for speed. He is very obedient and cute and cuddly. Winchester can outdo any cat as far as cuddling and attention-demanding goes - no-one can work a crowd like this guy. Matter of fact he reminds me of a loaf of bread with four little legs and a very cute face. After about twelve "Pees" each, plus flushing one significant flock of sparrows and even one sharptail grouse, the boys headed back to the van. Sloshed down a small thermos of water and went to sleep in their private seat in the back.

Drove over to the rifle range, still six trucks. Spent about two solid hours cleaning the 6.5-284 and .325 WSM - yesterday's gale winds had pretty much dirtied them up. The Cooper had exactly 100 rounds through its barrel and I was wondering how quickly it would clean up. About eight patches, five passes with the brush, two more patches and - no sign of copper. The Mike Rock barrel on the .325 has become one of my easiest barrels to clean - only 50 rounds through it but it was done in only five patches, five passes with the brush and two more wet-ones. I use TM Solution, it is doing a super job. Only problem is that the 16 ounce bottles seem to run dry awful quick - must be shooting more since I started using it. Cleaned the lug recesses, rails and even took the M-70 bolt apart and cleaned the gorf out of it. Brush the bolt faces, get a bit of brass filings out of the extractor area, wipe the dust off the rest of the bolt-body. Little bit of grease on the lugs and leverage location on the bolt handles, wipe down with an oily patch, clean the black stuff off the crown, Dry the bores, use the chamber mop to get it dry, no oil since I will shoot them tomorrow in all likelihood. Wipe the barrel, receiver, Badgers, trigger guards with the oily patch, insert the bolts and put the rigs into the soft cases. Scope lenses are a mess but forgot the lens cleaning kit, that will be a tomorrow-job.

By then the trucks had left and Winchester and Remington were wired. Down the range this time, Remington blasting out to the 150 yard mark in about 2.7 seconds, Winchester wanted his ears scratched before he took-off down the range like a little four mile an hour loaf of bread. Couple of whizzes, check out a few gopher holes, couple of old dog turds, rush through the tall grass to see how many burrs can be picked up and back to the van - need a drink. Ready to go back to the city.

Not sure who enjoyed this fine Indian-Summer day more, me or our two little dogs.

ps Winchester and Remington don't really like guns - tend to crawl under a chair when the guncases start moving toward the door. But they really enjoy going to the range - as long as nobody is shooting...

My Days Under A Tree

Early season 3 day Muzzleloader deer opened last Thursday. I figured the deer would be in rut and I knew where there were two bucks, one of which had narrowly missed being spitted by an arrow on September 15. Went with high hope however optomism was totally unjustified by the facts. Saw so many does and fawns I had to take off my shoes and begin counting on my toes. Nada horn in sight.

Family of river otters came swimming up the Potomac and right in front of me big papa otter catches a 2-3 pound carp. They all get to squabbling and argueing over who eats first and who eats last. Just the most noisy racket you could imagine. Of course papa wins and eats for a few minutes and then mama takes over. About this time the local bald eagle arrives and starts dive bombing the otters, but is too smart to actually land and fight it out with them. Mama chews on the fish for a while and then lets one of the two young ones have a turn. Amazingly, mama and papa just swim off upstream and leave the two young ones there and then one young one finishes and takes off upstream and leaves the last one who merrily crunches away for about five minutes and then swims off upstream. When it was all said and done they did not even eat half of the carp.

I pondered the lack of any bucks seen and decided to go back on Saturday and sit under a different tree. Probability of rain was 90 percent and sure enough it rained 90 percent of the day. I guess I had so much fun that I will take my 17 Rem and see if I can have any luck with a turkey this Sat. Probability of rain is 32 %. The turkeys do not come down off the mountain to the river for a drink if it is raining, so it is easy money that I will just get wet and kill nothing, again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.