My Brass is STUCK! /338 Edge Dies

HighCountryCo

To much lube, not enouph.... either way my brass is lodged hard core! tore the rim rite off.....
lightbulb
Any Ideas how to get it out?

Do I need new die?

Where are places to find 338 Edge Dies other then from Shawn...? (-$)

Thanks guys,

Co

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a stuck case remover. Works like a charm and you will have it if it happens again. Usually happens from not enough lube.

Where ever you bought your reloading supplies.... Midway USA, Natchez Shooters Supply, Brownells, etc.

i made me one with most of the stuff laying around the shop. A 1/4" tap and associated drill bit, a large nut, maybe 1/2 inch, a flat washer and a 1/4" bolt. I just put the die in my rockchucker press upside down, drill and tap the primer pocket, lay the nut, then washer on top of the press and screw in the 1/4" bolt until the brass comes out.

i made me one with most of the stuff laying around the shop. A 1/4" tap and associated drill bit, a large nut, maybe 1/2 inch, a flat washer and a 1/4" bolt. I just put the die in my rockchucker press upside down, drill and tap the primer pocket, lay the nut, then washer on top of the press and screw in the 1/4" bolt until the brass comes out.

Exactly how I fixed my problem. Drill the primer pocket and tap it. I just went to a "nuts n bolts" place, got a tap and a threaded stud. Drilled the primer pocket. Threaded in the stud. Placed the die in the press upside down. Placed a washer over the stud to protect the die. Placed a socket over it to use as a spacer. Then put a nut on the stud and threaded it down until it touched the socket (you may have to put another washer between the socket and nut) and gave it a couple of twists. Came right out. You will be amazed as to how easily it comes out. Fight off all urges to just grab the hammer!!! Oh, and take out the decapping pin so you get it out of the way. I should have made that step one, because you cant drill the primer pocket if the decapping pin is sticking out of it. You can use the search function on here to get an idea of what size drill bit and tap/thread size to use. Good luck. Don't worry about buying a new die. The one you have will be fully functional after you do this. Good luck.

Steve

To much lube, not enouph.... either way my brass is lodged hard core! tore the rim rite off.....
lightbulb

Do I need new die?

Thanks guys,

Co

Like the other guys said get a case removal kit...

I used to use a RCBS case lube pad... but due to the limited use of it, I forget once in a while to replenish the pad. Neck sizing with a lee collet die, no lube is required. Upon searching for alternative lubes, I came upon Hornady One Shot. Then I read where one guy recommnded Liquid Lanolin and alcohol. A bottle of 16 oz. alcohol and a 4 oz. bottle of Lanolin. If you go this route, get a cheap brand of throat spary and dump the it and use the spray bottle for the concochtion. I use L and AL for converting calibers brass. I also use ALcohol and cooking spray. The lanolin and AL works better to convert, and the Al and cooking spray works fine to FL size. Just be sure you tumble the brass after using this stuff, you want to make sure it's out of the cases before loading.

Last edited:
Oh, and I meant to add in my previous post that Imperial Sizing Wax is the stuff to use from now on in my opinion. I love that stuff.

Oh, and I meant to add in my previous post that Imperial Sizing Wax is the stuff to use from now on in my opinion. I love that stuff.

Imperial is what I use as well..... Great stuff and a little goes a long way.... I do all my decapping/resizing on a single stage press to keep all the primer crap out of my dillon.... I keep a small amount of Imperial sizing wax on the fingers of my left hand and it transfers to the neck/shoulder when I pick up the brass to put in my press.... For some brass that tends to stick on the expanding part of the die I keep a q tip to apply lube inside the neck....

lightbulb

Do I need new die?

Thanks guys,

Co

Use Redding Die Wax and wax only every second case. You will never look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.