muzzle velocity inconsistant

GoArmy

I just started reloading and I'm having trouble with my velocities jumping around, 7 mm REMmag. I'm getting up to 100 fps difference. What gives. I have digital scales, and I'm trying to get the powder load to within a 10th of a grn, but I must be doing something wrong,.

Last edited:
how close to the chrono is the rifle? also intermittent sun and cloud will sometimes give wacky readings. If the grouping is consistant I would say that it probably is more than likely the chronograph giving false readings. Hope this helps

I was a good fifteen feet away from the crony, and in a shaded area, I had the cronograph laying on the ground. This crony is like new.

I would try moving the chronograph out a bit further then, that sounds like it's too consistent to have a spread of 100fps to me. I have in the past had to set a chrono out as far as 25' to get a proper reading that wasn't being affected by the muzzle blast

I would try moving the chronograph out a bit further then, that sounds like it's too consistent to have a spread of 100fps to me. I have in the past had to set a chrono out as far as 25' to get a proper reading that wasn't being affected by the muzzle blast

You may be on to something there, the 7 mag throws a hell of a blast, and I was doing this on dusty gravel, and I had the crony sitting on the ground, and I was also.

if possible maybe try to get it up off the ground as well to try to eliminate both muzzle blast and dust. With the grouping your getting I would definately try with the chronograph before you change anything with the load, sounds fairly accurate to me.

if possible maybe try to get it up off the ground as well to try to eliminate both muzzle blast and dust. With the grouping your getting I would definately try with the chronograph before you change anything with the load, sounds fairly accurate to me.
Thanks, I'm going to change the entire setup next time, Get off the gravel and do this in my field, set the crony on a table, The rifle really shoots well, but with the crony reading all over the place, i dont want to calculate my long range hold overs till i get the MV steady, I have been using the G7 Calculator on the Vortex Optics Web site.

My cartridge set up is 7 MM Rem, Winchester Brass, Fed gold medal match Primers, H-4831, 65 gr. Berger 168 VLD, OAL 3.030. I may stretch them out to 3.042,
I have also used PMC Brass. Not sure about that brand.

I used PMC many years ago on a Mauser 7x57, just used it to plink with though, just an old iron sight gun so I can't comment on it's accuracy as I never really did try to hard with it. Still have the brass actually 15 yrs later but it hasn't been used in almost 10. Good luck with yoyr set up and I hope I was of some help to you

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.