variation in muzzle velocity

hunter30

i'm using lapua brass, cci #200 primers, 175 smk bullets and varget powder. i'm very meticulous about everything when i make my loads. for some reason, when i shoot them through my beta chrony chronograph i;m getting extreme spreads in the 30's. has anyone had this problem with any of this material? is it possible that my chronograph is off? despite the difference in velocity numbers, it shoots really tight groups. thanks for any advice.

It sounds like your chrony could be the issue. I had some problems like that with extreme spreads from 30 to 200 fps and I KNOW my loads were dead on or at least as on the money as it can be. I switched to a Magnetospeed and all my problems with chronys went away. Well.... most. LOL
All my Lapua brass has been uniform but I ALWAYS bore my flash holes just to be sure my ES is usually under 12 fps
Good luck...

thanks for the advice guys. i just recently found a range not to far from house that reaches out to 1000yards. i plan on shooting there soon to try to verify everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts