Muzzle device between a muzzle brake and suppressor

Any interest in a product like this?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Is it more designed to reduced recoil, reduce muzzle blast felt by the shooter, both or neither? What is the end result (hopefully). You have me interested.
Reduce felt recoil while redirecting the sound back away from the shooters position while also allowing tuning of barrel harmonics via the tuning nut threaded into the end of the shroud. It's nowhere near as effective as just a good brake. But it also minimizes the potential for serious hearing damage in the event you need to take a quick shot in the field. It allows me to still spot impacts with my 6.5 PRC running 145 MB at 3,031 fps. Rifle weighs about 9 pounds

Not 100% true, but we are arguing semantics. "Redirecting sound" can be used in speech to replace "suppresses sound". It's not the words we use to describe what the thing does that identify it as a suppressor, but the function of the device. A suppressor must have an enclosed chamber that allows gasses to expand prior to exiting the muzzle. In OP's case, it's a single open tube with holes in it. In other words, you aren't truly providing the gas a new, fixed volume to expand in. Take a look at the Surefire Warden vs Surefire cans. Same exterior design except one is basically an open tube the directs noise away from the shooter while the other actually provides the gasses somewhere to expand prior to exiting the muzzle. OP is expanding upon the former with a specific brake design internally and a timing nut.

At a super high level, no baffles / expansion chamber = not a suppressor.
The way the law reads is "any attempt to muffle". Which begs the question… a 16" barrel is louder than a 36" barrel. So when does "muffling" begin? I asked an alphabet agent this exact question. He refused to answer. I put in dozens of calls and messages to D.C. headquarters to no avail. They can change their interpretation at any moment so we just have to play the game by the current rules. But I interpreted it the same as you. It's a brake with a shroud. There are no baffles or any other obstructions that would cause the sound waves to be slowed causing suppression

First of all kudos for your invention and patent. It takes a lot To take an idea to product and patent.
My opinion, and it is just that An opinion, you will need to show both recoil reduction and sound reduction. Perhaps you can team up with some people who have YouTube channels like UR or someone else that can help with sound and recoil measuring equipment.
For those of us that believe in barrel tuning, yours has that advantage.
Good luck and will be monitoring how things evolve.

Last edited:
First of all kudos for your invention and pattern. It takes a lot To take an idea to product and patent.
My opinion, and it is just that An opinion, you will need to show both recoil reduction and sound reduction. Perhaps you can team up with some people who have YouTube channels like UR or someone else that can help with sound and recoil measuring equipment.
For those of us that believe in barrel tuning, yours has that advantage.
Good luck and will be monitoring how things evolve.
I talked with Gavin. He will do the recoil test but it's not exactly cheap. I hope to be able to do it but I have a house, wife, two kids, etc, etc. So it's on the list of things but I have other priorities as well. I'm just a blue collar guy that decided to make a thought a reality. So I'm hoping I can make some sales and build up a little money to reinvest back into the company/product and do the things you mentioned. It might just take time. But thanks for the positive words. It's easy to see now why so many dreams and ideas die lol

I like it, bring it out. Is it caliber bore specific? Please make 5/8x24 and 3/4x24. I dislike 1/2x28 even on 224 bores, personal thing.
We can do any caliber hole desired. However, numerous studies have shown that the inside diameter of a muzzle brake has nearly no noticeable effect on felt recoil. So we may just run .308 cal brakes in 5/8x24 until we see a need to do otherwise

I would love to but the proper and calibrated equipment is extremely expensive, even to rent. I would consider the sound to be equivalent to that of a bare muzzle
At one time I looked into renting sound measuring equipment capable (and certified) of measuring muzzle blast-- iirc it wasn't really that expensive to rent (under 1thou ) in relation to selling a product for profit.

Heck, it's only $3500 to buy a Larson Davis soundtrack lxt--- that should be a drop In the bucket for operating costs of a business

At one time I looked into renting sound measuring equipment capable (and certified) of measuring muzzle blast-- iirc it wasn't really that expensive to rent (under 1thou ) in relation to selling a product for profit.

Heck, it's only $3500 to buy a Larson Davis soundtrack lxt--- that should be a drop In the bucket for operating costs of a business
I would use the word "business" loosely. I'm a working electrician with lots of bills and very little time. Right now it's myself and my machinist. That's it. I haven't even secured packaging or anything of the sort. This whole adventure is barely off the ground right now. Eventually I hope to dump all the profit back into the company to do those sorts of things. But, for right now, I have to get by on what I can. I'll be starting a social media account soon and can post some basic videos/content there. But it won't be anything fancy at first

I would use the word "business" loosely. I'm a working electrician with lots of bills and very little time. Right now it's myself and my machinist. That's it. I haven't even secured packaging or anything of the sort. This whole adventure is barely off the ground right now. Eventually I hope to dump all the profit back into the company to do those sorts of things. But, for right now, I have to get by on what I can. I'll be starting a social media account soon and can post some basic videos/content there. But it won't be anything fancy at first
I think you have the right spirit. Keep doing what you are doing. Again, congratulations.

I mentioned this kind of device a few years ago.....someone said "why...it's not going to change the recoil....".....
I hope you prove him wrong....
I'd be up for one on aspects that sound is forced forward away from shooter and reduced recoil.....more the noise

'Jenous'.....think alike

I actually had a talk about this type of device with my gunsmith....

Last edited:
Very curious to see what recoil reduction is gained. I've been searching for something exactly like this, but I haven't seen much on how much it affects recoil.
I don't have any numbers or anything of that sort as of yet. You can look back to post #16 to read how it has been performing for me in that aspect. Unfortunately for right now it's based only on my experience. I hope to be able to have a handful ready for sale soon. Lance Kenyon is supposed to be reaching out to me with his shipping info so I can send him one of my prototypes. I would hope his reputation is known enough to trust his word. And if he thinks it's trash, then I have some work to do

Recent Posts