Muzzle brakes

[ QUOTE ]
RemingtonMan 25-06, pardon my being nosey but, how old are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc -- what does it matter? Was something wrong with that advice?

JB

KDF and then Vias next.

I have tried a lot of them in my 3 378 Wbies my 416 wby and so on. Nothing at all works better thatn these two unless they are new in the market. The vias is a bit quiter btw.

I agree, I have a 338 Ultra and I have a Vias on mine and it works awesome. i also just had another rifle built and had it put on that gun also, I had it put my last rifle for other reasons.

I have had 4 vias breaks and they work good but they don't work as good as the tank style breaks. I think the JP's are hard to beat on a bench gun. If weight is a concern try the holland they seem to be about the right size on hunting rifles.

I have 7 different kinds of brakes. It is really hard to tell any of them apart, I am bias for the Vias because the guy has given me such good service. They are all loud as hell until you start loosing your hearing, then they get quiter. I wear electronic ear muffs when ever I hunt with a gun that has a brake on it.

I have a Holland QD on a 8.5 lb. custom 338 RUM from Kirby and I really like it. Shooting in a t-shirt, I can get through about 1 1/2 - 2 boxs of shells before I want to start sucking my thumb, OH, I mean before it starts to bother me.

I've just had a custom brake done by S1 of ARtactical on my 300WM. It lowered the recoil to about a .243 level. The recoil never really bothered me before on this particular rifle, but I wanted to be able to see my shots at long range, and the brake helps get back on target quickly. It also has no holes on the bottom or top so the dust signature is not a problem. S1 does some very impressive machine work. Excuse the dust on the pic, this was after some range time before cleaning. Cowman [image]http://[/image]
qz0ljm.jpg

Well for those that dont know, im the youngest man around here. 20 years old to be exact. I dont claim to know everything, but I read everything on this site 2-3 times a day for the last 3 years, so I know quite a bit more then your average 20 year old kid. I was just telling you waht I've read and heard from others experience with a vais when shooting prone. I was going to go with a vais, but when told this information, decided to go with something else. I dont want my MK4 glass getting scratched or dinged up by sand or little rocks.

I suppose if all you do is shoot at targets with your muzzle braked rifle, that is fine and dandy. I know I sure don't want to be near you when the report is sounded. I also don't need to worry about losing anymore of my hearing.

I don't want to be in bear country or a country like Africa and being trying to stick ear plugs in my ears, when I need to shoot. I tried that wearing ear plugs for half a day once and got a headache pluse and ear ache.

No sir! I don't shoot muzzle brakes on my hunting rifles. I may resort to a recoil pad, which I believe is better from the hunters stand point but NO BRAKES on the rifle. I shoot a .375 Weatherby and a .458-Lott with no muzzle brakes. The guide or PH will be high fives after the hunt and be able to hear you as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hate to be a bugger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but this is the best muzzle brake made IMHO. No ears needed, recoil lessened by 30% or so.

site1.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to be a bugger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but this is the best muzzle brake made IMHO. No ears needed, recoil lessened by 30% or so.

site1.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...
DSC00498.jpg

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.