Muzzle Brake

head2h2o

I have started shooting a Savage 111 in 300 WM. This gun only weighs around 6-7 lbs. I am thinking of adding a muzzle brake to it and wondered what brakes you would recommend. This gun will be used primarily for hunting. The muzzle jump on this thing is brutal. The recoil into the shoulder is not that bad. The gun is already shooting sub-MOA with factory Winchester ammo, so with some handloads, it should be a real shooter

Do you plan on hunting with ear pro? If not, you could always get a brake and have a thread protector cut for your barrel to facilitate having a brake that you could use for shooting, and take off for hunting.

Only brake that I have is an APA Little Bastard, it works great, but is LOUD.

Hi head2h2o,

I have a Defensive Edge muzzle brake on a 8# .338 edge and its recoil is very tolerable. Shawn Carlock installed the brake and it is a very nice job. :)

Shawn makes a great brake, as does Kirby Allen, and Darrell Holland. I have a brake from all three, with the most common brake being the Holland Radial Quick Discharge.

I don't remember the brand that I have on a Rem. 700 Sendro in .300 RUM and it is much better to shoot. Yes the brake does make a lot of noise for the shooter.

Geezer66

Shawn makes a great brake, as does Kirby Allen, and Darrell Holland. I have a brake from all three, with the most common brake being the Holland Radial Quick Discharge.

+1. I have the older QD on my Savage 111F in .300WM and the felt recoil is comparable to .223s (IMHO). It think it cost me $175 installed in 2000.

QUICKDISCHARGEBRAKE.jpg

I have a custom brake by Joe Starnes (The Longshot) installed for $210 (cap included) on my SAKO M995 in .300WM with similar result as the QD.

P5170371.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.