Muzzle Brake Recommendations

emtyhopper

I'm looking for a brake that doesn't blast you in the face every time you shoot, but is still effective at reducing recoil.

It's going on a 7.5 lb 7mm rem mag with 1/2x28 threads. I had an APA micro bastard on this rifle for a while. It worked well, but gave me a headache pretty quickly.

Self timing would be a plus.
Any recommendations?

I used a MBM on my 338. It was very nice. I've also had great luck with the PVA shockwave. However, if you want a recoil reduction that doesn't blast you in the face, why not go with a suppressor.

I used a MBM on my 338. It was very nice. I've also had great luck with the PVA shockwave. However, if you want a recoil reduction that doesn't blast you in the face, why not go with a suppressor.
I've shot a handful of rifles with suppressors and they're great, but I don't want an extra 6-8" hanging off the end of my rifle while I'm hunting.

I have used a lot of brakes over the last 25 years. I like the Terminator brake and have several of them. The Terminator is the most effective brake I have used it terms of pure recoil reduction, but it does direct a lot of blast back towards the shooter to achieve the recoil reduction. The last few years I have been using the Heathen self timing brake and like them a lot. I find them very effective in reducing recoil, but my better at directing the blast away from the shooter..

Take a look at Meraki, they have a self timing brake that has the blast directed 90 degrees out. Looks like a Hawkins 3 Port brake. I have one on a 6.5 PRC I have built and will shoot it for the first time this weekend.

I'm looking for a brake that doesn't blast you in the face every time you shoot, but is still effective at reducing recoil.

IMO - the ideal brake that accomplishes both tasks does not exist. You typically sacrifice one for the other.

I've moved toward more modest cartridges that don't need a brake, ie: 7mm mag on down. I still own and shoot some big boomers, but I use them a lot less frequently than I used to.

It's going on a 7.5 lb 7mm rem mag with 1/2x28 threads. I had an APA micro bastard on this rifle for a while. It worked well, but gave me a headache pretty quickly.

Self timing would be a plus.
Any recommendations?
Really great information. Thank you so much for posting that. I am in the process of building a 338-378 for a hunting rifle. They have a fairly robust recoil profile so being able to balance recoil reduction with noise is very useful. The Seekins and the Tridelta will be good options. The APA and Alamo Four Star provide more recoil reduction, so for a target rifle that would probably matter most but for hunting the time back on target, ground effect, and noise effect on the shooter and those around them matter too.

Here is a link to the full set of tests

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Muzzle-Brake-Loudness-Rating-vs-Recoil-Reduction-Rating.png

Muzzle-Brake-Field-Test-Summary.png
Great information in the test. Effectively, the better the recoil reduction the louder they are.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/