Muzzle brake caps?

dmgreene

Got a question guys. I've got a new barrel on the way and was considering installing a muzzle brake. I've never owned a gun with a muzzle brake but I have shot a few that friends have owned. I like the recoil reduction and being able to see the shot placement but I really dislike the muzzle blast and having to wear hearing protection while hunting. I was wondering about having the muzzle brake for practice sessions and replacing it with a theaded cap while hunting. I want to know if the loads I work up with the muzzle brake will be accurate if I replace it with the cap or vice versa. I know the weight difference could change barrel harmonics. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks,
David

I have 3 rifles with muzzle brakes installed on their barrels. At the bench for extended shooting the brakes really help to reduce shooter fatigue and help me concentrate on just the aspects of shooting.

I have tested these and other rifles with the brake on the barrel and with only the thread cap protector installed and found no discernible difference in point of impact or in group size.

I do not hunt with the muzzle brake installed!

My 6x284 has a removeable brake and I have found no difference except for recoil. I was worried but after many rounds with and without the brake there has been no noticeable POI shift.
Lance

Muzzle brake cap

I have 3 rifles w/ brakes and none of them have a point of impact shift using the cap vs. brake. I hunt with them most of the time w/brake as I like to see the bullet impact.! (keeps the muzzle flat) You only shoot without ear protection once in a lifetime using a brake! (maybe there is somebody that does shoot wothout but I'm sure he is deaf!)

Thanks for the info guys. This is what I was wanting to hear. Now to decide on which muzzle brake and who will finish putting it all together. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.