Mule Deer Hunting

samson

I would like some Ideas for some Do-it-yourself Mule Deer hunts(rifle). I know that some states are hard to draw so I am looking for a high percentage draw state or over-the counter. I am in fairly good shape and am new to Mule Deer but I think that I am hooked on it without any experience. I know that sounds strange but I have been reading about it a lot. Any help would be nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have missed most of the application deadlines for this year. However, Colorado will have left over tags in a lot of units and if you are in good shape there is great hunting in most areas of Colorado. There deer herd is probably one of the best in the entire west. You can still buy points in Wyoming (July) and Kansas (May) this year and I would recommend you do so. Wyoming's hunting may not be what it once was, but it is still very good in areas and they as well will probably have some leftover tags this year. Idaho's application period may still be open yet this year, but I am not very familiar with it. Colorado is really good right now and they have several seasons in most areas and you can hunt one of the earlier seasons some times and learn the country and then draw a later season in the next couple of years and hunts the rut.
Landowner tags are also and option if you have the $$$$.

You might look into South Dakota and Nebraska as well, it is a little differant than the moutain hunting, but there can be pockets of very good hunting.

Check out these two web sites and they may lead you to more info.

http://huntinfool.com/index.html

http://www.huntodds.com/

Good Luck

Come on out!

Go here and study hard. Link

I'll give you some pointers and scouting reports. Will start scouting early next month.

Also, buffalobob knows the ropes pretty well. Maybe he'll chime in.

Take I-80 from PA to Little America in WY. Then US 30 into Idaho. (are we allowed to say Idaho any more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) By the time you get to Montpelier you will have driven by some great Muley country.

Check us out. We have great beginner's luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In Idaho, the elk season overlaps with the deer and bear season. I get one tag for each. I didn't hunt for mule deer but saw some and even shot at a very small one but concentrated on the elk. I could have killed a moderately good sized one but had the elk dead and didn't want to fool with a deer.

You can actually get two deer tags if there are still non resident tags left over when the season begins. A deer tag can also be used to shoot a bear. There are whtetails down low in the river bottoms and mule deer up high.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.