Moving to Montana

DennisM

Hello Guys, I will be moving to Montana in August and would appreciate any advice on Locations and Jobs. I am a farmer (13 years) and my wife is a school Teacher. We are looking forward to a new start in a great state. Too Hot and Too many Trees here in Georgia. I have 13 years experiance in row crops, hay production, and Livestock.

Man I welcome you to Montana ahead of time. There is a teacher shortage here in Montana-but thatis because they pay so little.
Hmm..most of the agriculture is in the eastern part of the state, although there is some up north also.
Dang... we live in Butte simply because it is one of the cheapest places in the state you can live and still be close to the mountains and the fishing/hunting..
But-there is probably very little agriculture in this area..lots of ranches and they do feed hay and grow alfalfa...especially in the Big Hole valley...
In Butte, you can find homes from about 15-20,000$ if you want to fix them up-to 400,000$ although that is the high end. You can find a nice house, by my standards-which probably not that high-lol for about 40-60,000$.
This would be a three-four bedroom with a garage, small yard-...This same home would cost you 200,000$ in both Missoula or Bozeman and more in Kalispell or Whitefish.
Good Luck:
Leep:

I work in the oilfield in eastern MT, Sidney to be exact. And the oilfield is booming right now, lots of jobs available. If you have a CDL and a clean record, they are crying for truckdrivers, for instance. They tell me some of those oilfield truckdrivers are doing about $90,000 US per annum. But if you are thinking of beautiful mountains, trout streams and all that, you won't find it in eastern MT! Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities, but not much for scenery!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.