mountain brown bears

mp214parks

Mainly, I like to hunt sheep. But every year I see a grizzly, usually on the next ridge, 300 or 400 yards away. I have a 300 rum. Is it resonable to take a shot at one at this distance. I am in no danger from one since usually there is a large valley between us. I just want a good kill. Also any load suggestions for this.

You will have no problem killing a bear at that distance with a 300RUM. No problem at all.

That was a great bear story.

Mainly, I like to hunt sheep. But every year I see a grizzly, usually on the next ridge, 300 or 400 yards away. I have a 300 rum. Is it resonable to take a shot at one at this distance. I am in no danger from one since usually there is a large valley between us. I just want a good kill. Also any load suggestions for this.

A 300 RUM should easily be able to make a 300-400 shot on a griz with good shot placement. If it was me, I would want a range finder to take out the guess work - wouldn't want a wounded bear.

I think if you check some threads you'll find some good loads.

a 200 AB pushed by about 95 gr Retumbo seems to be popular for about 3200 fps. Of course start a little lite and work up.

Your rifle has plenty of energy to kill the bears at that distance. But you'll likely only have one shot to place a lethal hit on the animal. Place your first bullet in the lethal kill zone and you should be good. If the first hit isn't a killing hit, all you'll have is running shots after that until the bear reaches cover or climbs over the mountain.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.