More 338LM Issues.

An FL re-sized case @ 2.714" has the same issue.

How about virgin factory brass and/or factory loaded ammo?

Also, have you measured your case headspace length from the datum line to the case head with something like a Hornady headspace gauge set for your calipers? I'd be curious to know the distance before and after sizing to know whether you're really bumping the shoulder.

Also, you might coat one of your sticky rounds with dykem layout blue, or sharpie and open/close the bolt a time or two to see if you can determine where it's rubbing.

-- richard

You haven't mentioned the brand of brass.

I posted a thread about Hornady 338LM cases being too long for the tight Savage chamber.

If you are using Hornady cases, see if they're not over length... the ones which stuck in my 110BA's chamber were 2.730... about 15 or so thousandths too long for the Savage's chamber.

I have had no issues with Lapua cases at all... and they're at 2.715" virgin case length, and also length after firing. :) Tight chambers on these rifles...

Dan

All of My brass is HSM (Bertram), 20 from a box of their loaded ammo and 50 from bulk unfired Brass. I don't have a Headspace gauge. I did coat the shoulder of a sized and unsized brass both and there are marks just before the shoulders roughly .030" past the shoulder towards the neck. Forgot to mention the loaded ammo I got from HSM was tight to chamber also.

If the contact is between the shoulder and neck as you stated, it sounds like the headspace is bare minimum spec or perhaps less. Or, you aren't actually bumping the shoulder. But, you did say it was the same with the new HSM loaded ammo.

If you end up with a dirty chamber in the field, you're going to be frustrated.

I would measure with the Hornady headspace gauge adapters and bump the shoulders another .002" and see if that makes a difference.

-- richard

If the contact is between the shoulder and neck as you stated, it sounds like the headspace is bare minimum spec or perhaps less. Or, you aren't actually bumping the shoulder. But, you did say it was the same with the new HSM loaded ammo.

If you end up with a dirty chamber in the field, you're going to be frustrated.

I would measure with the Hornady headspace gauge adapters and bump the shoulders another .002" and see if that makes a difference.

-- richard

All of which contradicts my first post which was based on your first post that you seem to have contradicted. ???

All the more reason to get the HS gauge or some sort of headspace or chamber gauge and measure to see if your die is set up and working correctly and consistently.

-- richard

2.715" +/-.001"

If coating with sharpie and chambering leaves marks between the shoulder and neck, then that seems to be your contact point and overall case length is most likely not your issue. Rather the headspace is tight and you need to bump the shoulder back a tad more for the rounds to cycle smoothly.

And, if you don't have a way to measure from the headspace datum line on the shoulder, how do you know you've bumped the shoulder at all or how much?

rscott5028 And said:
I've adjusted My FL sizer several different with zero success, I've gotten one to chamber easier but nothing smooth like it should be. Bolt is still hard to close and even worse to open. Maybe I'm screwing up somewhere??? I've had this rifle less than 2 month's and it has been nothing but a headache, ready to smash it over a stump.

Last edited:
I've adjusted My FL sizer several different with zero success, I've gotten one to chamber easier but nothing smooth like it should be. Bolt is still hard to close and even worse to open. Maybe I'm screwing up somewhere??? I've had this rifle less than 2 month's and it has been nothing but a headache, ready to smash it over a stump.

I'll start the bidding at $50. lightbulb

Have you adjusted you die down till it just cams over on the shell holder? That normally going to get you close to spec if all is well. It seems these rifles have been troublesome with anything other than Lapua brass.

I've done the 1/8-1/4 turn past the point of the die touching the shell holder, and 1/2 turn past that even. I've also considered the fact that I should have bought Lapua Brass to start with.

But, that doesn't guarantee that you've bumped the shoulder back sufficiently or even at all. Your shell holder could be too tall. A few companies actually make shellholders that are different heights for this specific reason.

The only way to know if you're doing anything to the brass is to measure it. The Hornady headspace gauge adapters for your calipers are cheap and effective.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.