More 200 gr Accubond results

AccuBonds and RUMs accounted for three whitetails for our clan this year, two with the 225/338 and one with the 200/30. Not exactly a "tough" test for such big rounds but it did give a bit of useful info.

One was shot right through the lungs with the 225 from around 60 yards or so. It hit a rib going in and the entrance hole was big enough to take out not only that rib, but also a rib on each side. The exit hole was slightly larger. The deer dropped on the spot. This tells me they open very quickly and will do lots of damage with minimal resistance.

Another was facing and shot from below at very close range, probably less than 20 yards. The 225 entered about where the neck meets the chest, crunched about a foot and a half of spine before exiting the top of the back with a modest sized exit hole. So, it encountered about as much heavy bone as one can find in a whitetail at near muzzle velocity, held together and exited.

The one I took with the 200 was about 100 yards away and shot placement left a little to be desired (it was the first time in many years I have shot at a running animal). He was running full tilt, quartering away, I hit him in the spine just in front of the hindquarter. The bullet turned about 8" of spine into chunky soup before exiting the other side.

So, with three shots, three deer all dropped on the spot (well, mine did slide in the snow for about 10 feet
wink.gif
) and all bullets exited. You can't ask for much more than that, although anything less would have surprised me. Unfortunately, no luck on elk yet. Oh yeah, they're death on jackrabbits and porcupines too.
grin.gif

And they were accurate enough I could enjoy whacking my gong out to 800 yards after filling my tag. Pretty good all around performance, I'd say.
wink.gif

This year has provided me with ample opportunity to compare the 180 Ballistic Tip from a .300 Win Mag and the 200 gr Accubond from the .300RUM.
We have taken antelope at 410 and 852 yds with the 200 gr Accubond with complete pass thru's on both. The 410 yd shot took out both front shoulders on a doe wounded by another hunter. Neither had significant meat damage.
The 180 gr BT has taken three deer and 4 feral dogs that were running deer on my lease. Two of the deer were double lung shots and had no meat damage but one was a spine shot and completely ruined the backstraps and tenderloin. The dogs showed about the same type damage as the deer, although I wasn't as careful in placing the shots as I was on the deer. They have all been pit bull/chow crosses that run loose in the area where I hunt.
I would NOT shoot an elk with the 180 BT, unless it was absoutely necessary(wounded animal, etc). It is still primarily a deer bullet, stick with the Accubonds and Partitions for the heavier stuff.

Two 200gr Accubond/Rum results to relate. My hunting pard took a nine point with his Rum at about 80 yards. He rushed the shot as I was drawing down on it as well and he was trying to beat me to the punch. Anyway after the shot the buck took off as if nothing happened. He cursed and second guessed the loads I had worked up for him all during my 800 yard tracking job, until we came upon the result. He had shot it through the gut, and out the hind quarter with about a 3/4 inch hole. Wasn't much blood but thank god for snow. The following day I took a doe at 375 with my Rum. It took out one rib going in, blew the heart in half and broke three ribs on the out. Ran 40 yards before tilting. Again a 3/4 inch hole in the off side hide. My wife took a doe at 275 with her 6mm and sierra spitzers. Bullet went through the front shoulder, top of the heart and out the ribcage. Talk about bloodshot. Except for the tiny entrance hole, It had looked as if she had used one of them overkill magnums.
wink.gif

I will have to second Jon A's observation that these bullets open up very quickly. I took a coyote last sunday at 353 yds. with a 300 WM , hit him in the neck (forgot about the wind) the exit wound was about the size of a softball. Seemed pretty extensive for only passing through 6" of tissue and the spine.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.