Montana Bob Marshall Wilderness Area early season rifle hunt

I can't wait to go there! I'll be heading out there in approximately 5 weeks (with 7 Lazy P Outfitters)! I thought I was anxious before, now seeing pics of the area makes me want to go now!

Did you try the trick with the lariat? It's standard equipment for me. But I have been working with horses since birth.

Did you try the trick with the lariat? It's standard equipment for me. But I have been working with horses since birth.

I did not, we did not get much time to spend with the stock, we showed up, they had us mount up and they adjusted the stirrups and we were off. These were all good animals, they pretty much make this trip from early to mid summer all the way through hunting season. They are pretty **** solid. When I go with my family, they have some "green broke" horses that pretty much get used during hunting season and the rest of the year they are free to do as they please, so demanding a 25 mile trip in rough country is asking for a rodeo or two! :D

The only slightly humorous horse story was my buddy is even greener than me when it comes to riding and although his horse was very well mannered it was a bit of a slouch, I would wait until he fell behind a bit and then I would get my horse to trot a bit so his would follow suit and it would beat his balls off the saddle horn, I may be a little sadistic, but it is the small things in life that make a trip! :D

I am heading into the same part of the bob oct 21 can't wait to see that country will be there for a wk then if unsuccessful hunting a private ranch for a wk once general season opens. These pictures have me even more excited than I have been for a yr now.

I am heading into the same part of the bob oct 21 can't wait to see that country will be there for a wk then if unsuccessful hunting a private ranch for a wk once general season opens. These pictures have me even more excited than I have been for a yr now.

Good luck up there, weather was pretty warm when we were in there, hopefully you will get into them. If they get a cold snap that may get them more hot and heavy into the rut, they were starting when we were there. Not very vocal yet, we only got them to respond to bugling on one ocasion when my buddy got the shot and we didn't hear them bugling on their own at all. We spotted some way off and I watched them for awhile through the NF on the Cheytac for awhile and the small bulls were sniffing the cows *** and the bigger bull was tearing up a tree with his antlers. So they are definitely primed and ready, hopefully they will be a little more vocal for you. (when I say way off, I ranged them at 3180 yards from our camp just before dark, in some steep *** country, no way to put a quick stalk on before dark :D)

If you are in that exact same area, there is a rock peak that my outfitter referred to as Terrace Peak, just to the north of that is a burned area of timber that makes a triangle shape, and just north of that is an open area on the ridge where that bunch was hanging out, saw them there on two separate evenings. Good luck and shoot straight!

Not sure exactly where we are camping but I do know we coming in from the west and camp is on the south fork. My brother in law is taking me he has the horses and mules.He lives in polson and rides the bob all summer I'm kind lost to exacts lol.Thanks for the info I'm really green to anything but flatland whitetails.I have been shooting out to 750 and walking a lot.

Not sure exactly where we are camping but I do know we coming in from the west and camp is on the south fork. My brother in law is taking me he has the horses and mules.He lives in polson and rides the bob all summer I'm kind lost to exacts lol.Thanks for the info I'm really green to anything but flatland whitetails.I have been shooting out to 750 and walking a lot.

Beautiful country. Steep as hell. Having your own stock in there will help. If it doesn't cool down your shots are likely to come fairly up close and personal, they were staying in the thick timber for the most part so long shots were not an option most of the time. If you get the right set up where you happen to get within shooting distance of a clearing and time it when the elk are there you could get a chance for a longer poke. Good luck and enjoy it. It's a tough hunt, but well worth just taking in the beauty of it all.

Dude, that is pretty funny! You must have gone with an outfit. I thought you were going out with those family horses.

I don't keep bad horses, but if you put a saddle and a bit on a stick of dynamite I could ride it all the way down.

Dude, that is pretty funny! You must have gone with an outfit. I thought you were going out with those family horses.

I don't keep bad horses, but if you put a saddle and a bit on a stick of dynamite I could ride it all the way down.

Yea we did a drop camp with Mills In Augusta. When I hunt in Wyoming we go in with my cousins' stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.