Monster elk on trail cam

No food there NZP.

That is a water source that the federal government installed in the 1970's. It's called a guzzler and it fills with rainwater and morning dew. They are not a real good source of water for elk because once the elk find they have water in them they will drain it in a couple of weeks if they use them too regularly.

The one in the picture was contaminated when we found it. The screen that keeps all of the animals out was crushed and there were several dead birds and a couple of dead squirrels in the water. It looked like it hadn't been used in years. Once we cleaned it out it took the birds less than an hour to find the water. The elk started using it the next evening.

I'm sure it is dry by now but for a few days there was an incredible amount of activity. Over 360 trail camera pictures in two days.

The elk season was open when the pictures where taken and we didn't hunt the guzzler. My brother shot a real nice 5x5 with his bow from a tree stand above a pond.

Your trail cam bull has awesome mass and enormous fourths. Decent symmetry though a few deductions here and there from the looks of things. A little narrow and probably not as long/tall as you would like- he put all his energy into growing those antlers around instead of out to his ***. I think he would go over 350" maybe well over, it is hard to say without a better pic that shows his spread. A very nice bull no matter where you are at. I don't know anyone who would hesitate to shoot that bull unless there was a bigger one standing right next to it.

I just killed a bull that scored slightly over 340 this bull I would guess 360 class vary similar to mine but has that seventh point that will give him the extra 20 "P.s how do you add attachments and i'll send a picture it sucks being computer illiterate

Squirrelduster,
For some reason all I can think about is that is a Roosevelt Elk. The color, symmetry. Though this could all be the angles and camera, the terrain speaks of Rocky Mt. though.
Please give me an education if I'm wrong.
Great bull!

It is a Rocky in North Eastern California. the hunt is an archery hunt that is in a huge area. They give out 10 tags in an area that is close to 90 miles wide by 60 miles tall. Most of the bulls die of old age.
Here is a picture of one of my wifes friends that this really tiny bull in Utah. It will be the new state record for a woman.
I am so jealous.
judy.jpg

406 and change green.

1 shot 150 yards 270 winchester.

Thanks for the correction.
That Utah bull is crazy big in body and antlers! I didn't know you could kill elk with a .270 :rolleyes:
My one and only was 272yds with 150g Rem Corlokt in .270. It works just fine, yeah even the Corlokt.
Good luck on your tag!

Casey

Update for this bull.
He was shot and scored 384 with about 20 inches of horn broken after fighting. So he was 400 plus in the picture.
I still haven't been drawn for the area. It's like winning the lottery even with max points.

Do you have a picture of him after he was killed? Most people add the the outside spread width to the score which always adds from 40-60inches. The bull in your pic although a very nice bull has no length to his points and his mainbeams are around 48". Decent mass. Good luck on the tag.

Wil not be anywhere near when the season starts you will have to live in the woods and spy on this ELK and make sure too chase away other hunters

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.