Mono metal handgun bullets.

Good article!!!
And i applaud your efforts!!

But your math is flawed.

"E=MC" does not compute.
E=MC2. Or mass times velocity squared.

Hence why a 69gr bullet out of a 223 has substantially more energy than a 230gr bullet from a 45ACP.

Granted, you're probably not grabbing the 223 when a bear pokes its head into your tent.
🤣 there has to be one.

Well your 2 is also not in the right place.

To get that special elevated position for the 2…..that is required for the formula to actually be correct…..appears to be impossible in the blogging software.

But…..you know exactly which formula I was talking about…..mission accomplished.

Last edited:
I can't find any way to get the 2 in the actual right place on the forum software on the computer, tablet, or phone.

Obviously Apple doesn't trust the science.

I gave up after 15 min when writing the article.

Chris,

I own and carry 454 Casull and 500 S&W revolvers for grizzly/brown bear defense in Alaska. Have never had to shoot a bear in self defense with my revolvers. Hope I never have to.

Question? Have you ever shot the Cutting Edge Solid handgun bullets into large game animals? I'm guessing not, but wanted to ask. If so, what kind of performance? I expect the solids to perform like semi-wad cutter, hard cast lead slugs. Which is what I load and carry.

Your article has me considering the CE Raptors for the smaller body / size grizzly bears. But for larger bodied bear, I'm thinking the Solids might be the better performer given the likelihood of self defense frontal chest shots, and the need for deeper penetration.

Based on your handgun hunting harvests, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris,

I own and carry 454 Casull and 500 S&W revolvers for grizzly/brown bear defense in Alaska. Have never had to shoot a bear in self defense with my revolvers. Hope I never have to.

Question? Have you ever shot the Cutting Edge Solid handgun bullets into large game animals? I'm guessing not, but wanted to ask. If so, what kind of performance? I expect the solids to perform like semi-wad cutter, hard cast lead slugs. Which is what I load and carry.

Your article has me considering the CE Raptors for the smaller body / size grizzly bears. But for larger bodied bear, I'm thinking the Solids might be the better performer given the likelihood of self defense frontal chest shots, and the need for deeper penetration.

Elk is as big as I have gone with the CE.

I'd like to actually try them on large boar hogs for frontal head shots. I think that would be a good plentiful tests media.

The solids should replicate a WFN lead but wouldn't deform.

I can't find any way to get the 2 in the actual right place on the forum software on the computer, tablet, or phone.

Obviously Apple doesn't trust the science.

I gave up after 15 min when writing the article.
Try pressing an holding alt while typing 0178 on the number pad. It should give you a superscript 2, like this: ². I'm not sure how macOS handles alt codes, but holding option while typing 0178 might work.

There's alt codes for most special characters here. You should be able to copy and paste the character you want from that website too.

Try pressing an holding alt while typing 0178 on the number pad. It should give you a superscript 2, like this: ². I'm not sure how macOS handles alt codes, but holding option while typing 0178 might work.

There's alt codes for most special characters here. You should be able to copy and paste the character you want from that website too.
Thanks….

That's better than me mashing keys and cussing.

Chris,

That's part of the beauty behind the design of the Cutting Edge bullets.
While the 4 petals break off and radiate outwards, after they break off, the front of the base has sharp edges and continues through.

While so far as i know, until the article, the pistol raptors have only been tested in ballistic gel.

Maybe a test with wet paper may shed light on the penetration.

That's part of the beauty behind the design of the Cutting Edge bullets.
While the 4 petals break off and radiate outwards, after they break off, the front of the base has sharp edges and continues through.

While so far as i know, until the article, the pistol raptors have only been tested in ballistic gel.

Maybe a test with wet paper may shed light on the penetration.
I got nothing worth while out of media testing. I tried a bunch of stuff. And none of it seemed to relate to actual tissue. Fracturing is just different. I don't even think gel is all that helpful.

I'd make a high school educated guess that the base would drive right into a bear skull without issue. As a bonus…..when your butt puckers and you hit it in soft tissue because you missed your target….it will do more damage than a solid.

I had to do this post up earlier today to answer the questions I have been getting. This addressed the most common ones.