Mojo decoy placement

clark270

Where do you put your spinning wing decoys? right in the landing zone or over other decoys? If you have more than one how high do you place them? I'm talking over water.

I typically put them near but not in the kill hole....not too high off the water, maybe a foot or two.

The biggest complaint I have with mojo's is that they can spook ducks once they start to work. They will pull them in, but I like a manual spinner with a string bc you can stop it from spinning, and when stopped they return to dark side of wing up.

I place mine up wind of the landing zone & a few inches to a foot above the water. They should be no further than 15 yds from blind with most birds landing 5 to 10 yds behind it. If you want more than one shot. This works for me & just FYI I have had many 100 bird + seasons. I have tried many times when birds were not coming in, taking it out of water & not using it & the results were the same some ducks just get blind shy. Good Hunting.

I put mine in the trash! They have pretty well run their corse in my opinion, the only time we run them is on push days if it's not cloudy. Just on the top edge of the hole and 1-2' off the water.

If it's early season, I might put out as many as 5 or 6 and i put them on both sides of the kill hole. Later in season, I will only use a couple and I might pull them if the birds flare or if the sun is shining. The worse the weather the better they work.

I have found them to be ineffective but I have always grouped them to one side of kill hole. Maybe I need to try different placement

Where do you put your spinning wing decoys? right in the landing zone or over other decoys? If you have more than one how high do you place them? I'm talking over water.
Best place is in the Sporting Goods Store. Next best place is in the truck. Next best place is 30-40yds upwind of the shooter, facing upwind. Do not put them where you want the birds to land. They won't. Suggest you sell them and replace with anything that stirs up water and splashes. Doesn't really matter what.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts