Moa Bases qustion

huckjare

I am new to the long range hunting scene. I just got a steal on a new rifle and scope and am looking to shoot out to 1000 yards. I bought a remington sendero 7mm mag and a leupold vx-3 6.5-20x40 with the 30mm tube. I am shooting the berger VLD 168 grain bullets at 3050 fps. I am planning to have leupold put a turret on it for me and want to know if I will need an angled base to reach 1000 yards with a cds turret? I don't really understand how the moa bases work to get me more clicks but I just need to know how steep of an angle I will need to reach the 1000 yard mark. Not that I will use it a lot in a hunting situation but if it arises I want to be prepared. If someone could help me to understand that would be great. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know to help me out. Thanks

The canted base raises the rear of the scope which serves to make you shoot high...all other things being equal. As a result...you would need to click the elevation turret down from a 100 yard zero with a flat base. I use them...it gives you more elevation...and at longer ranges...you aren't cranking the turrets to the extreme range limit....IMHO it might be easier on the internals....not binding the adjustment springs..but rather running more in the middle of the adjustment range.

Not sure how much internal adjustment your new scope has....you'd also be well served to get a ballistics program and "Run some dope ( Adjustments needed to get to certain distances)" using what data you have... to give you an idea of how many minutes it will take you to get to 1K. It's fairly common to see rigs with 20 m.o.a bases. I run them on my rigs...haven't run into a problem being able to dial down to 100 yards....and up to 1K.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Last edited:
On the leupold website it says that the 30mm and the 1" tubes have the same moa at 90. That can't be right can it? Shouldn't the 30mm tube have more adjustments? On a 7 mag do I need a steel base or would aluminum be okay?

Usually 30mm tubes do have more internal adjustment...when compared to a similarly powered 1" tube ie both scopes would be 6-24X etc. You'd have to check into the amount of adjustment in the Leupold scopes. 90 m.o.a sounds like a lot of adjustment for a 1" tube. My scope with a 34mm tube has a little over 100 moa of elevation.

I don't think you'd have a problem with an aluminum base...as long as you stay with a Name brand unit. If you find a super deal on ebay....on a no name piece...maybe steel would be the way to go. I have both....my .300 WM had aluminum and I never had a lick of trouble.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.