Military Grade Primers

Texas Speed Bump

I think I know the answer to this but would like to hear what the Forum has to say. I have 1500 CCI #34 primers from when I had my M1A and am wondering if they're at all suitable for use in non-military bolt action or LR-308 rifles. I know they're designed differently to avoid slam fires in military auto/semi auto rifles, just not sure it that completely excludes them from non-military weapon use. Thoughts?

Use in complete confidence. I have used CCI 34's for many years in a variety of bolt action rifles including Rem 700, Ruger M77's, FN Mauser & Kimber M84. Taking a look at the CCI 34's with 10X magnification indicates that they have less anvil exposed than CCI 200's. Accuracy has been equal to CCI 200's. Same goes for the CCI 41's as compared to CCI 450's.

IMG_1549.JPG

These are pics of CCI 450 (nickel plate) left & CCI 41 (brass) right. The large rifle primer CCI 200's & CCI 34's have comparable anvil protrusion.

I use this every day in ammo production.
IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited:
The CCI 34's are a "harder" primer. That is how they help to prevent slam fires. They require a solid strike to detonate. The only time that they might be an issue, is in a rifle that has trigger work, that lightens the hammer spring. Other than that, they should work just fine.

I think I know the answer to this but would like to hear what the Forum has to say. I have 1500 CCI #34 primers from when I had my M1A and am wondering if they're at all suitable for use in non-military bolt action or LR-308 rifles. I know they're designed differently to avoid slam fires in military auto/semi auto rifles, just not sure it that completely excludes them from non-military weapon use. Thoughts?

CCI #34 I've used them in a bolt rifle from time to time just playing around to see what they'd do, they feel like a light prime strike (not all of them) and have to hit them with a second strike to fire them, all did fire reliably on the second strike, it was in a factory Remington 700 .308 Win. A very good way to develop a flinch. 😵‍💫
I probably should have added, that I have never had a problem with CCI #41 or #34's in my ARs or M1A

Last edited:
They are completely usable and will perform as advertised if not better than other primers on the market.

Wish you were closer I would trade you for them. I need some military for my AR-10 and have plenty large rifle primers of other varieties

I spent 30 years in the Army as a firearms instructor for 25 of them either full time or as an additional duty. I shot competitively using M-14s and never had or heard of a slam fire from them or a M-1A. If there was ever a reason for a slam fire, it would have to be that the rifles were not maintained, cleaned properly and the firing pin stuck, which was not a regular occurrence and almost unheard of. Over my years in the Army I had fired over 250,000 rounds of 7.62 MM ammo, either Lake City Match or Machine Gun Ball in training and matches. I never had a slam fire or for that matter a misfire or hang fire. Once moving to combat match shooting with the M16 I did experience a few misfires out of the M193 55 gr ammo but never any problems with the M855 62 gr. I have been reloading since 1971 or 1972, hard to remember exact dates. The only primers I ever had an issue with were CCI small pistol back in the 70's. Otherwise any and all primers seemed to perform to expectation. These days I much prefer Federal for both pistol and rifle in both small and large configuration using magnum versions in both for probably the last 5 or 6 years. All of my loads are now based on magnum primers and they work well no matter what. The bottom line is, don't be afraid to use what you have or what is available. You might have to modify your loads slightly but well worth the effort.

More on CCI 34's

IMG_0519.JPG

Pics of new lots, CCI 34, CCI 200, & Fed 215 - left to right. Appears to be more anvil exposed on CCI 34's than CCI 200's. I did not see this on my old lots of both CCI 34's & 200's. Crude measurements with calipers confirmed this.

No info as to 34's specific hardness but -

Screenshot (422).png

I would expect that the 34's are made from more work hardened brass than 200's.

I just got another 1000 34's & 1000 215's and had to check out stuff. No problems whatever with 34's in my bolt guns. Primers are pricy. My previous post might not be correct as for 34 anvil protrusion on new lots.

Last edited: