Military Primers?

kc

Can you help me? I have a (5 gallon) pale of clean .308 brass, I need a good tool to remove the primers..I have made a punch on the lathe but its no good. I would like to try this stuff,
its been under lock and I think its worth using.

Can you help me? I have a (5 gallon) pale of clean .308 brass, I need a good tool to remove the primers..I have made a punch on the lathe but its no good. I would like to try this stuff,
its been under lock and I think its worth using.

Why not a decapping die, or a full length die with a decapping pin?

Buy an RCBS primer pocket swage kit.Comes with both size swaging set ups and does a wonderful job.I would rather displace the brass than remove brass from the case,just a personal preference.

I tried a decap and it broke all(4) pins. I made a punch from a dowel pin with my surface grinder
and it snaped. I guess I need to try another idea. I have a drill bit that I will try next.
The only problem is the tool may be destroyed before the first 50 cases are done.
The swage kit sounds good, will it hold up?
thanks for your help.

Lee makes a tool to de-prime military cases. Get the 30 cal. It is a punch that you use a hammer to punch out the primer. Go to Lee web site and you will fine it. The RCBS primer pocket swedge kit is for removing the crimp in the primer pocket and is well worth the money.

I tried a decap and it broke all(4) pins. I made a punch from a dowel pin with my surface grinder
and it snaped. I guess I need to try another idea. I have a drill bit that I will try next.
The only problem is the tool may be destroyed before the first 50 cases are done.
The swage kit sounds good, will it hold up?
thanks for your help.

Dowel pins are generally tool steel and, therefor too brittle for use involving impacts.

I made mine from a #47 HSS drill bit shank. It's lasted 25+ years or so.

I miss read the op on primers .I use the rcbs dies and very seldom break a pin,maybe one pin every 800-1000 brass,maybe I am just lucky.

I've always used a Lee Universal Decapping die to remove military primers and have never had an issue with breaking pins, whether it is in a progressive press or a single stage press. I then use a Dillon swager to remove the crimp … this has worked for thousands of military cases.

Just of curiosity…

You're not by any chance trying to remove Berdan type primers are you?

The first thing I think of is it Boxer Primed Brass? Is the ammo all one lot? I have came in contact with 7.62 X 51 NATO (308 Win.) Brass made in Europe with Berdan Priming. I broke a decapping pin on one of these case, Mixed in a batch cases I was making dummies for one of my Hunter Education Instructors. When it comes to a good pin that is tough I would go with a near bore size punch with a drill bit shank as a pin or a section of hex allen wrench, Both will take a lot of abuse. BE CAREFUL and Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.