mil surp WC 860, 868

Ridge Runner

I currently shoot WC872 in my 7mm Allen, are these powders of any value to me? what cases they work in?
How about WC846?or AR2213SC, they say its close to H4831SC, anyone used any of these? Thanx
JS

James,

WC846 is a military ball powder made for 7.62 Ball M80 and Tracer M62 ammo. Way too fast for your 7mm AM I'd have thought?

WC860 is for 50cal Ball M33 ammo and WC868 is a 20mm cannon powder, as is WC872. WC868 is slightly faster than WC872 and would be worth a try in the 7mm AM. WC860 is faster again.
All WC ball powder is made by St Marks Powder co.

AR2213SC is identical to H4831SC. These are both made by ADI in Australia who make all of Hodgdon's extruded powders.

Greg

Last edited:
anyone know of a burn rate chart that includes the WC powders?
Thanx
James Staggs

I will try to get one up when I get home, but till then this might help some.

Here are a couple of links to different sources. The first, is to a database which I have, and use in conjunction with other data, to draw up a test range for load development. It is VERY comprehensive and well worth the download time and especially the price. If you get like it be sure to shoot the creator a thanks. It not only covers most published loads but also has a decent amout of Surplus stuff as well in popular calibers. It is also searchable using several methods. Very well put together.
Reloaders Guide - View Single Post - Reloaders Reference Software

ANd another which has a few loads in different calibers using the Surplus stuff,
Surplus Powder

Good Luck and remember that these are to be used at your desgression.

Burn Rate Chart

Well I had thought that I had this in a Word format whan I made the other post, and it took a while of searching a ton of info I have on disc to figure out it wasn't. So anyway the long and short of it is here is the link,
Powder Chart

Just remember that with the Surplus stuff the burn rate is a variable, and could be quite a bit faster or slower than what is marked in the chart. It is just a guide, and using it for anything else is up to you.

Ridge Runner,

I'd kind of think that either of those two powders would be a bit fast for the 169.5 or 195 WCs but may just be the ticket for the 150 class bullets. I suppose they are ball powders, if not I'd definitely shy away from them in the 270 AM.

well I'm just more or less wondering about some of the other calibers I reload for also, most mil-surp is cheaper than the commercial powders. Long as the WC872 performs like it has in the past I won't be lookin for other powders for my 7 mm AM.
was kinda thinking about using something on the order of WC852 in my 6.5 gibbs or something compatable for my 6mm, or 25 wssm, 7mm-08, 270, heck when mom gets me somethin for my birthday or x-mas she walks in a shop that sells reloading supplies and announces " I need something for my son, he has one of everything"
My 9 yo daughter has more rifles than the average household, just trying to save a few pennies!
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts