Mental Health and Hunting

troydrex

Over the years research shown that spending some time in nature can reduce symptoms of mental health like anxiety, stress and depression. Also it help to promote Physical activity and engagement. Hunting often involves physical activity, such as walking or hiking, which can promote physical health and also release endorphins that can improve mood and reduce stress. Hunting also enhance human capacity to think and be strategic.

I agree 100%. On years when I get little or no hunting, my overall mood is very much affected.
That's one of the things I wish the anti-hunting crowd could understand. They see us as bloodthirsty savages but have no idea how good it does a person.
Same thing with families that hunt together. They are, in my opinion, generally speaking just stronger family units.

Yes..the physical exertion helps...but it's all the verbal release that allows your head to clear.....
....@$ð&....after dropping the rifle onto the boulders....
....#hĵ@....after catching the boot in rocks and spraining the ankle....
....@*&%.....after cutting your finger with your knife......
.....@!$&%×2...after shooting a critter way over there....now facing the consequences of being $@&% stupid......

Yes....the emotional reset is awesome.....

Spent the past 6 days hunting ducks in absolutely miserable conditions, -6º one morning, ice, snow, rain and sleet, high winds a couple of days, but I would do it all over again, the time spent with good friends, watching good dogs work in the water, on the ice and having as much fun as us, then us dog piling on each other, sharing good meals and bunking together, washes the soul clean. Nature is awesome, nature and great friends are unbeatable by most things, aside from watching the next generation being born and following in our footsteps.

God gave us the ultimate medication, some choose to ignore it and not revel in what he offers and the restart it gives you.

I have at least one trip a year I take very serious. Only check the work phone and personal phone once a night for emergencies and ignore everything else but the wife. Best week of the year. Absolutely scratches all the itches and is a good reset / mental health week.

I agree 100%. On years when I get little or no hunting, my overall mood is very much affected.
That's one of the things I wish the anti-hunting crowd could understand. They see us as bloodthirsty savages but have no idea how good it does a person.
Same thing with families that hunt together. They are, in my opinion, generally speaking just stronger family units.
This is what my wife sees from me come hunting season.

warning big cat GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski