memorial day weekend shoot

larlevine

i am a newbie :D on this sight so I hope this post is in line with what you are seeking for member contributions. i thought i'd share my experience over the recent holiday weekend. i was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend an organized shoot at a location in south central georgia. the shoot was on a 2,200 yard range set up for known and unknown distance shooting. targets were steel plates 20" wide and 40" high. this is the first time i have shot successfully beyond 1,300 yards. i recently purchased a trg 42 in 300 win mag and hoped to be able to ring steel at that distance or beyond. i recently went this route as i wanted to try replicate results i had a few years ago with a trg 42 in 338 lapua magnum but at less expense for ammo, components etc.. Fortunately, one of the guys had a vectronix terrapin laser range finder so I could verify distances. With the heat at 99 degrees and the heavy mirage, reticle range finding was too tough for me to get any kind of useful data [for me anyway, not great at that skill!]. i had previously worked up what seemed like a good load, 208 amax, 75 grains h1000, norma brass, fed magnum primers, coal about 2.82", resulting in roughly 2745 feet per second per my run of the mill chronograph.
i spent the first day verifying my data and working out to 1,100 yards. the morning of day two I got gutsy and with the help of an excellent spotter I had a good day. I first worked my way out to the steel at 1,205 yards, got some good hits and then at 1,435 yards and then went for 1,935 yards. I was able to dial up the 27.5 mils required on my nightforce 3x15 ffp scope to get out to 1,935 yards, which was a nice. The plate at 1,935 was on a knoll with heavy long grass and shrubs so misses just disappeared. fortunately with the help of a really nice guy [Al] who was willing to spot for me, he got on the steel at 1,935 yards, i made two hits and then quit while I was ahead and went back to 1,100 to 1,435 yards for the remainder of the morning practice session to get better use of my ammo.
i have to confess I am now hooked on elr...already fantasizing about that next big caliber rifle to keep my 300 win mag company.
i'd be interested in attending elr shoots in my part of the country [in the southeast] so if there is a distribution list please add me to it...

Your COAL was 2.82 on a 300 Win Mag? I bet you typed it wrong. Good job on your shooting and welcome aboard.

Was that Al from NC shooting a 300 win?

my bad...i never asked him where he was from, he was too busy helping me get on target! next time i see him i'll ask...he was shooting a 300 win mag, i think it was a steyr...sound like him?

I live in Augusta, and the range I go to doesn't have anything past 1000 yards. Is like to stretch out past that, is this range in south GA open to the public?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.