Member introductions

delta57

Hi!, I'm Jay, I've been shooting and tinkering with guns all my life. I like shooting everything(except black rifles, old school I guess). Favorite passtime is stocking & checkering, when I'm not shooting. New in the long range stuff, Got my heart set on a 1885 single shot, not sure what cal. yet, maybe a 45-70. Anybody out there has :rolleyes:one that needs a new home let me know.

Welcome aboard. Always nice to make a new friend or two. How long have you been stocking and checkering. I've been a stock maker for 40 years and am amazed at all that I am still learning. Never was around anyone who knew how and could / would teach me the art of checkering. Still want to learn.

I hunt most things that wiggle and eat well but my passion is elk hunting, either archery or rifle and have done quite a lot of long range shooting over the years as both a game hunter and Army Ranger back in the day. Again, welcome. LeRoy

Leroy I bought a Mauser 6.5x55 20 years ago and decided to restock it 5 yrs ago. Came out ok, but it needed checkering. Bought a 22pli kit from brownells and Monty Kennedy's book and could not make heads or tails from it. Kept at it and now I've done about 15-20 guns for customers. And I have NO patience. It,s all in the master lines, the first 2 lines you lay down, they have to be perfectly straight. Oh, and I never work more than an hour at a time, get to shaking to much. Now I can read Monty's book and understand it. Nice hearing from you. Thanks, Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.