Medium 7 build recomendations

Forester

I am trying to get my thoughts in order for a build I want to start after the first of the year. What I know for sure is that I want to do the work myself and so it will be based on a Savage action, likely a pac-nor barrel and Stockade stock.

My biggest hangup is deciding on a caliber. Current thoughts center around a 7mm something because of the selection of high BC bullets out there. In all likelihood I will gravitate towards the Bergers or Accubonds.

I also want this rifle to be light enough to carry some so I am thinking short action and no more than a 26" barrel 24" would be even better if I can get the performance I want from it.

The rifle is going to be intended for whitetail deer out to 1000-but more likely 800 and under. Elk to 500 and if things work out, a Caribou trip in 2010.

What caliber would you recommend? I am currently thinking in terms of a 7wsm or 7RSAUM. I like the .284Win. but I don't think it will throw the 168gr+ bullets with enough authority from a short barrel.

Single shot is ok, Mag fed would be better. If its not going to feed right I would just assume have a single shot. I have also thought about a 280AI as long as it will eject an empty.

To top it off it sure would be nice if I could more or less bet on at least 1000 rounds of accurate barrel life. More of course would be better. This will be a hunting rifle first, but of course I want to be able to practice with it without constantly wearing out barrels!

Am I asking too much? What would you recommend?

I vote for the .280 or .280A.I. I have a Dan Coffin custom on a Rem. 700 action that weighs in at 6.5 pounds with a 3x9 Leupold. I like to walk and thought that a lightweight rifle would be just the ticket. I have not chrony'd my loads, but I think that I am some where close to 2850 with a 160 grain accubonds. I am using 54.5 grains of Reloader 19 with no pressure signs and good groups. I imagine that I could heat it up a little but don't see much loading information on the heavier bullets posted anywhere. I think that the Ackley will give you another 100-125 fps which would be nice. I am just getting started in the reloading world and am working up loads very slowly due to chasing elk at this time. Good luck with your choice.

I'd say go for the 7 STW. It fits and feeds from more magazines than the 7 RUM. I figure if you are going for shots as long as 800 yds ( a mightly long way) you might want to minimize the wind drift. More velocity with the high BC Berger 168 VLD will help.

As an inexpensive experiment I rechambered a Rem 7 mag 26" takeoff to 7 STW and put it on a model 700 that was a 7 Rem Mag with the older 24" barrel. It was already in a Ti stock. Total weight including a 3.5-10 x 40 VX III is 8 lbs. Light enough to carry. Recoil is not bad either. I am getting 3200 with a moly coated 168 VLD. This experiment is now one of my favorite rifles.

I would go with the WSM if your priority is to shorten and lighten it up. You wont lose as much going from a 26" to a 24" barrel as you would in a RM, STW or 280 AI and you might get more performance than the RM or AI. You might stay in a standard action as the standard action may not allow for adequate mag room for longer, high BC bullets?

Also, if Reloader 17 is all it's cracked up to be, it could provide a significant advantage over cases like the RM and AI.... but that's all theory at this point....

I would go with the WSM if your priority is to shorten and lighten it up. You wont lose as much going from a 26" to a 24" barrel as you would in a RM, STW or 280 AI and you might get more performance than the RM or AI. You might stay in a standard action as the standard action may not allow for adequate mag room for longer, high BC bullets?

Also, if Reloader 17 is all it's cracked up to be, it could provide a significant advantage over cases like the RM and AI.... but that's all theory at this point....

I have heard that the short mags may be better built on a long action so that you can seat the heavier bullet out far enough, but there are some feeding and extraction issues I think? That seems to defeat some of the point though. If I have to do that, I would probably back up and just build a single shot.

Any opinions on the Remington Short Mag? An article on 6mmbr seems to indicate that the Remington version can give the same performance with 7-10% less powder-so longer barrel life.

Not sure what you mean by a rem short mag. If it is related to the 6 BR you must mean the 7 BR.
A fun chambering for sure, way too slow for long range hunting. You said earlier you wanted to be able to shoot out to 800 yds. The 7 BR is NOT it.

Forrester's comment on using a 7 WSM in a long action is a good idea. Plenty of seating depth leeway. You could always put a long VLD into the rifling which is the preferred location. The performance is just about identical to the 7 Rem Mag.

Here are two good links on the 7 WSM:

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter

Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker (7 Win Short Mag)

Not sure what you mean by a rem short mag. If it is related to the 6 BR you must mean the 7 BR.
A fun chambering for sure, way too slow for long range hunting. You said earlier you wanted to be able to shoot out to 800 yds. The 7 BR is NOT it.

Forrester's comment on using a 7 WSM in a long action is a good idea. Plenty of seating depth leeway. You could always put a long VLD into the rifling which is the preferred location. The performance is just about identical to the 7 Rem Mag.

Here are two good links on the 7 WSM:

7mm WSM -- High-Country Hunter

Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker (7 Win Short Mag)

Not the 7BR, I know thats not a viable choice.

Here is a quick write up about the Remington Short Action Ultra Mag.

7mm Cartridge Guide

Last edited:
Now I under stand.... saum is the short mag you were referring to....an interesting round! It would appear that the WSM, SAUM and the 7 rem mag are very similar in case capacity.

The SAUM is perfect for a short action! Good luck with your venture.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.