measuring headspace (which brand)

boogsy

Looking to add some tools to my reloading bench. I try to be a one time buyer, Looking at tools for measuring headspace to set up my dies. Originally was going to get the wilson cartidge case gauges, But see that sinclair makes a bump gauge set. These are cheaper but will I end up with the same result, Is the quaility of the measurment the same? Most of my reloading is for a 220 swift, 7mm08, & 7mm rem mag I do others but these are the ones currently I'm concerned with fine tuning. Does anyone have any input on either of these two companys tools. Or others I'm overlooking.

You are basically looking for a Dial caliper w/bump gauge inserts. Sinclair or Hornady are pretty much the same, keep same brand and the bullet inserts fit also for comporator. You check your fired brass and set die for bump that you would like. I have both of above

+1

RCBS and Redding make some fancy gizmos. But, the main thing I'm looking to do is bump my fired brass back 1 or 2 thousandths.

I use the Hornady comparator+headspace inserts with my digital calipers. The anvil attachment is also nice to have for consistency.

The Hornady setup is nearly identical to Sinclair and gets the job done.

-- richard

Take a look at the Redding Instant Indicator. It is quick and accurate. Only gripe is that it is caliber specific.

A Wilson type 'drop in' gage simply shows if your ammo will fit, feed and fire in any weapon ever made to SAAMI specifications, it does not give you a precison reading that is specific to your chamber.

Google "Innovative Technologies" and look at their tool that mounts a dial indicator on a small bench top stand. It's a bit costly for one cartridge but it's adjustable for both case shoulders AND seated bullets so it will work great on any cartridge or case you may want to measure.

Otherwise, the Hornady case/OAL tools on a dial caliper are all cost effective and will do all anyone really needs for reloading purposes.

I'll give a +1 to the hornady comparator with the various inserts---very easy to use and accurate. One of my most important reloading tools.

Randy

I've tried several methods but the easiest, most repeatable measurements (still not perfect, but close) are from the Sinclair OAL gauge along with the Hornady Comparator using proper caliber inserts. This combination works well for me. I also have the Innovative Technologies headspace gauge which I'm still playing with but the jury is still out on this option.

The first gages used to measure case headspace (head to shoulder datum) were custom made back in the '60's. RCBS makes a Precision MIC that does the same thing. Having used a dozen or more different makes over the years, the RCBS one is by far the easiest and fastest to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.