Measuring for Bushing Size. Help!!

If you go to the Redding site they have a section with very good info for use. Much better then the instructions that come with the dies.

I have a custom lee collet die and never did gain much. The redding die has really cut my run-out drastically and i will not use anything else now.

This is why there's a discussion I suppose, as results vary.

My experience was the opposite to AF Shooter's - my Lee Collet gives way lower runout than my Redding Comp Bushing Die.

I suspect it's because I need to size almost 10 thou and the Redding doesn't do that well. I tried sizing in two stages and it was both time consuming and virtually no better.

Woods, you seem to have a nice way of getting the steel wool all neat and together to use. I struggle a bit, is there a bronze bore brush under there, or other secret you are willing to share?

WAL

This is why there's a discussion I suppose, as results vary.

Woods, you seem to have a nice way of getting the steel wool all neat and together to use. I struggle a bit, is there a bronze bore brush under there, or other secret you are willing to share?

WAL

Yes there is a 22 cal bronze brush in the middle of that gob of steel wool. I pull the steel wool off in long strings and wrap it round and round the brush. It will compress and I have to keep adding layers. When switching calibers I have to adjust the diameter, either by pulling some off or adding another layer or 2. I feel I am getting the best results when the steel wool is so tight it makes the Zip Trim hard to spin.

One advantage of the Zip Trim is that it holds the case firmly and gives you good leverage for working on the case.

If the interior of the neck is really rough like after turning or reaming, then I take a small strip of scotchbrite and hold it with some hemostats to begin the neck smoothing process.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.