McMillian 6.5x284 question

marioq

I have one of these and I am just going to start loading for it. I wanted to see if anyone here has one and can get me on the right track.....
I have 4350 7828 and retumbo... I would like to try Retumbo... but, the OAL is way long!!!!! Just wanted to see where to start... I have 140 VLD and also going to get ELDx bullets... waiting on some Peregrine bullets too...
like I said, I just want a little help... Figured if someone has one the load should be close..

Thanks in advance...

Mario

Mario, the fastest burn rate powder I have used is H-4831. It topped out @ 2,935 with 140, but was 1/4 moa. Try 51-53 grs.

RL-26 was 2956 fps with 140s and I'd try 54-55 grs, super EDs. Was very good load, but I think I can go higher.

If you can get enough Retumbo in case, my accuracy was between 57-58 grs. That load was from Grey fox, he's the go to guy for 6.5-284.

I think the 7828 will work great, if you have the short cut. Good Luck!

I have one of these and I am just going to start loading for it. I wanted to see if anyone here has one and can get me on the right track.....
I have 4350 7828 and retumbo... I would like to try Retumbo... but, the OAL is way long!!!!! Just wanted to see where to start... I have 140 VLD and also going to get ELDx bullets... waiting on some Peregrine bullets too...
like I said, I just want a little help... Figured if someone has one the load should be close..

Thanks in advance...

Mario

Mario,
You're going to love how accurate this caliber is. I just finished load development for it yesterday.
140 VLD, 51.7gr H4831,3.04" COAL, BR2, super accurate but slow......2809fps
143 ELDX, 57.6gr Retumbo, 3.165" COAL, 210M, 3011 fps
140gr Accubond/BT, 55.5 RL26, 2.980" COAL, 210M, 3024fps
All are 0.5moa or less
My rifle is a Savage 116 LA that was rebarreled with a 1:8 twist and 24" barrel

Good luck
Doug

Thank you for all the input. My main reason for asking was that my overall length is very long for what I saw in the general responses. . Also other shooters posting their OAL compared to mine was fairly long. I just wanted to be sure I was in the right neighborhood. I will start low of course and work up to max load.

My particular rifle didn't care for 4831 , but loves 57 grains of Retumbo and CCI BR2'S. I get 2975 fps , single digit ES and great accuracy. This load shows zero pressure signs and I'm sure there's more velocity to be had , but at 57 grains, it's easy on brass and I don't have to turn the turret very far to get way out there .

If this is your first 6.5x284 , it won't be your last !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.