Mcmillan Game Scout?

KPK

Anyone using the game scout? How do you like it?

Any pics?

Working on a 338 norma or lapua build and getting things lined out.

Helping a friend with a 300 ultra build and his game scout showed up just a couple days ago. I am sure I will fondle it in the next day or so and report back.

Please do report back.

Len, what caliber etc is your sons? Think it will eat the recoil better than an a3 or a1-3?

Wanting to keep this 338 on the lighter side. Sendero barrel, more of a hunting type stock, 26-28". I'm sure the recoil will be all there, but oh well.

Love mine. Put in on a Sendero. Light weight, handles recoil well and I love the classic style forend for when you have to carry the rifle around. If you are a taller guy, make sure you pay a little extra for the added LOP. I like the recoil pad on there as well. The LoS is a bit low, so consider adding some sort of cheek riser if you have a scope with a big obj.

Some of the cons I have with the stock are, 1) when I got it, it had air bubble cracks, which McMillan quickly fixed. 2) It may be because the the forend is rounded, but the sling swivels are off just enough that if you are shooting from a bench rest bipod, it causes your rifle to cant. They fixed this once but it is still slightly off. 3) The recoil pad is starting to detach from the buttstock, and I am getting small chips around it. That I am actually pretty disappointed in.

My buddy ordered the exact same stock and has not experienced this with his. Im going to give McMillan a call now that hunting season is done and see what they can do for me.

Even with the things I mentioned, I still love the stock. Im not a fan of stocks with a lot of palm swell, and this one is about perfect.

Attachments

• sendero.jpg
    sendero.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,513
I like my Game Scout stock very well. The line of sight is a little low with 50mm objective. I'm thinking of installing a Defensive Edge check riser which will take care of this problem. One other thing I wish was different is the bottom of the stock where it rides on the rear bag is a little steep. However, all in all it is a very nice stock. I have a 300 win mag sitting in mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_153035_586.jpg
    IMG_20130831_153035_586.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 1,757
Andy likes his.

I don't think it handles recoil any differently than say the A-3 except that since it is lighter probably not as well.

I liked mine so much I wound up with two. So far. One is wearing a 300 WSM and one a 22-250, both with a Rem 700 S/A. I saw on the web page that they are making them with adjustable cheek pieces now. Both rifles are wearing Vortex PST scopes - and with the Vortex 'low' rings my head needed a stock pad to bring it to 'just right.' Went with Triad on that. I think it is a little slower to the point than a traditional 'open grip' stock or a straight grip (like a Marlin 45-70) but just barely. I find it much more comfortable to shoot both prone off a bipod and from other positions than a traditional grip stock. No issues on either of mine with out of alignment anything. The McMillan swirly gel coat was good - there can occasionally be bubbles in those is what I've been told. Mine are both inlet for the Badger M5 style DBM. The PTG units I got fit perfectly. Next time I'm at the range with them I'll take a couple of pictures.
The stock does have a limitation on the barrel contour you can stuff in it. It isn't an A3, so don't be thinking you can squish a fatty in there. Rem Varmint or such - sure - but not a HV! I have a Med Palma contour coming home this week so I will be checking to see if I can make that fit. A heavy Palma isn't gonna work from what I can see.
Am seriously considering using one for Highpower prone and Across the Course competitions - especially with the adjustable cheek piece available now.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.