Max Rem 700 SA OACL

ramrod79

Hey guys looking for more info, and I cannot find it anywhere so I will ask all you long time shooters. I have a custom Rem 700 SA 7 SAUM, I was under the impression that max mag length was 2.80 but I am able to seat my bullets out to 2.86 ,and they still fit in the mag ,and still feed just fine . Guys is this normal as I do not have an extended mag box in this gun, the gun was built with a blind mag to save weight , and I am unsure if the smith used the same box that I gave him with the donor rifle . Any thoughts on this ?

COAL for the Remington 7mm SAUM is, I believe, 2.8252. Your 2.86xx is, IMO, within the range I'd expect the magazine to accept. Reloaders will often stretch those factory dimensions when they are using OAL at the ogive to establish a seating depth referencing the lands and I'll bet some of their loads (depending on bullet selected) would press the edges of that magazine to some degree. Unless the magazine's size is creating a loading problem I wouldn't be concerned. But it wouldn't hurt to consult your gunsmith and ask the question and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.