223 Rem 700 SA

samson

I have a Rem 700 Action in a .223 cal. What would I need to do to convert it to a 308?

It would be easier to pick up another action.

Barrel, magazine floorplate, magazine liner, BUT the most expensive would be opening up the boltface.

samson , since you already have the action that money is spent ,so are you planning to build a custom gun with this? and if so do you plan to have the action blue printed?

Here is what i'm getting at , your gonna spend about $150 give or take to have the action blueprinted , if you have the bolt face opened up I would recommend having a Sako extractor installed ,thats gonna run about $100-$125 , you can get a new oversized bolt from PT&G that is perfectly true , has the Sako extractor cut in it already and has a custom bolt handle , in the long run it'll cost a little bit more to buy the new bolt but you will end up with a better end product and the same effect of having the bolt sleeved as the bolt is oversized. Now your smith should be able to work with you a little on the action blueprinting price cause hes not having to do the work to the new bolt that he would to the old ne but that cost may be able to go toward the instalation of the extractor and bolt handle , you can also sell your factory bolt for $125 pretty easly that will recoupe some of the cost also.

just somthing to think about.

but if your just wanting to open the bolt face and install the same style Rem extractor you would need to call a good smith and ask about a price.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.