Match bullets for hunting?

I have never used a Fowler bullet but know that J4 jackets tend towards the light side. So, as an informed guess, I would say your combo will do very well in the varmint capacity like coyotes. The 'explosive' nature will do significant damage and the lighter construction will expand more readily on these smaller animals. Hope you are not collecting pelts.

On deer, that would leave you with broadside boiler room presentations only. Doubt that you will see an exit wound even at 400yds. Definitely not a shoulder buster.

Best to get some phone books and water filled milk jugs and shoot them. I want to blow up and penetrate at least 2 gallon milk jugs to be considered a hunting bullet. Three is ideal. Then place about 4 to 6" of dry phone books in front of the milk jugs and see what happens. The bullet should still make it to jug number two.

Personally, I would recommend the 117gr SST for your hunting. Certainly works on shoulders if necessary. More penetration if you get a quartering shot. Will not bruise up so much meat.

In many cases, the SST will shoot as well as a match bullet from a hunting style rig. I get them shooting in the 2's all the time.

Even small deer are tenacious and at longer distances, recovery is important. Blowing a bullet on a shoulder leading to a long and stressful track, is not my idea of a good time.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.