Mad it happen last night. 2 for 2 for 2!!

I've been chasing whitetails with a bow for the past couple weekends and have had countless opportunities on different whitetails but most have been smaller does, large does with small fawns and 1 buck. Largest 2 point I've ever seen, pretty unique deer actually. 7-8" single tines on either side.

well shotgun season opened up for me on Monday and was able to sneak out of work early on Wednesday. My area only has shotgun season for 1 week, bow for 3 months and no rifle season, so pressure's normally on if I haven't made it happen yet with a bow! I was able to sit for about 2 hours.

the walk into my stand is just shy of a 900 yards, so I left my stand 30 mins before dark in order to check the 4 pastures I have too walk by in order to get back to my vehicle. At the mouth of the first pasture there's a hill that gives me a look over 3 of the pastures. I find a huge doe feeding at 500 yards and the hunt begins. I am able to sneak through the swamp and grass within 167 yards, hold over ever so slightly and touch of a shot from my 220 slug gun and she drops!

View attachment 157103

The next day I was able to sneak away from work early again. Once I arrived to the property I was a little tired from the hard week and long days in the stand from the weekend so figured I'd just check my camera and come back Saturday morning! Well I quietly walk in and get back to the top of the hill about to enter the bush where my stand and camera are located and I turn back to scan the 3 pasture once more before I head in. I start glassing straight back where I saw the doe last night and slowly worked my way to my left when I notice in the tall grass a nice rack sticking just above the grass line. I grab my range finder and get a reading of 202 yards. With utter disbelief I pull my Bino's back up to verify as I couldn't see body, head or anything other then rack. Sure enough it's a buck and looks to be decent too. I lift my gun, steady my breath as It's going to have to be a free hand shot and he takes 2 steps just enough to see neck, and head. I steady my breath and boom.. he drops!

i quickly make pace towards him so I don't lose him in the tall grass. I make it about 150 and start walking slowly up and down trying to stumble across him. I spook a large doe off to the left of my current position and decide to head where she bounced from assuming he was hot on her trail. About 20 yards from where I later find my buck I come across the odour of a hard rutting buck which leads me right too a monster bodied deer! So in the end, 2 days, 2 shots, 2 deer!

I had shot my previous largest deer a few years back, and in disbelief on his size we weighed him on a industrial food scale and he was a whopping 320.4 lbs, with a neck of 33" around and this buck unable to access that same scale had a neck of 36.25"!

View attachment 157092 View attachment 157093 View attachment 157094 View attachment 157095 View attachment 157096
Congratulations, way to make it happen!

I've been chasing whitetails with a bow for the past couple weekends and have had countless opportunities on different whitetails but most have been smaller does, large does with small fawns and 1 buck. Largest 2 point I've ever seen, pretty unique deer actually. 7-8" single tines on either side.

well shotgun season opened up for me on Monday and was able to sneak out of work early on Wednesday. My area only has shotgun season for 1 week, bow for 3 months and no rifle season, so pressure's normally on if I haven't made it happen yet with a bow! I was able to sit for about 2 hours.

the walk into my stand is just shy of a 900 yards, so I left my stand 30 mins before dark in order to check the 4 pastures I have too walk by in order to get back to my vehicle. At the mouth of the first pasture there's a hill that gives me a look over 3 of the pastures. I find a huge doe feeding at 500 yards and the hunt begins. I am able to sneak through the swamp and grass within 167 yards, hold over ever so slightly and touch of a shot from my 220 slug gun and she drops!

View attachment 157103

The next day I was able to sneak away from work early again. Once I arrived to the property I was a little tired from the hard week and long days in the stand from the weekend so figured I'd just check my camera and come back Saturday morning! Well I quietly walk in and get back to the top of the hill about to enter the bush where my stand and camera are located and I turn back to scan the 3 pasture once more before I head in. I start glassing straight back where I saw the doe last night and slowly worked my way to my left when I notice in the tall grass a nice rack sticking just above the grass line. I grab my range finder and get a reading of 202 yards. With utter disbelief I pull my Bino's back up to verify as I couldn't see body, head or anything other then rack. Sure enough it's a buck and looks to be decent too. I lift my gun, steady my breath as It's going to have to be a free hand shot and he takes 2 steps just enough to see neck, and head. I steady my breath and boom.. he drops!

i quickly make pace towards him so I don't lose him in the tall grass. I make it about 150 and start walking slowly up and down trying to stumble across him. I spook a large doe off to the left of my current position and decide to head where she bounced from assuming he was hot on her trail. About 20 yards from where I later find my buck I come across the odour of a hard rutting buck which leads me right too a monster bodied deer! So in the end, 2 days, 2 shots, 2 deer!

I had shot my previous largest deer a few years back, and in disbelief on his size we weighed him on a industrial food scale and he was a whopping 320.4 lbs, with a neck of 33" around and this buck unable to access that same scale had a neck of 36.25"!

View attachment 157092 View attachment 157093 View attachment 157094 View attachment 157095 View attachment 157096

That buck is sure a bruiser. Good job !!! Good idea to "take the heat" off by hanging a doe on the meat pole, and then going after Mr. Big. The whitetails get every bit as big as mule deer, but only in areas where they can grow to full maturity. I used to hunt them in northwestern Minnesota, also in a shotgun-only area. We shot a lot of big deer there, and it was a good thing that we could drive the pick-up to most of the carcasses. They were way too big to drag very far. The shotgun slugs thump them pretty well, but it's not like rifle hunting. Your 220-yard shot is admirable, Sir. ( My old-style slug gun maxes out at around 150 yards.) I guess the newer slug gun designs work well with the high-velocity loads, enabling you to reach out pretty well. It sounds like you had a really fun hunt, as well as bringing home a couple of very nice animals.

That is a really nice buck! His neck is huge! Was that a shotgun you have in the photo?
Where did you kill him? I hunted western Canada 3 times and never saw a pig like that I wanted to shoot. Always dreamed of taking a 300 lb whitetail.
Congratulations again!

They dont grow them.like that down here ! Rack maybe, body ? Not a chance !
Great buck and a great shot with that shotgun. Congrats

Congratulations and nice shooting. Enjoyed your story telling.

thank you everyone! Very excited about this! Waiting for the butcher to get back to me in regards to weight of the deer to find out if he will tip the scales on the last big one! With some more measurements on neck and shoulders they are so close to each other it's going be tough call!

That is a really nice buck! His neck is huge! Was that a shotgun you have in the photo?
Where did you kill him? I hunted western Canada 3 times and never saw a pig like that I wanted to shoot. Always dreamed of taking a 300 lb whitetail.
Congratulations again!

yes sir, that's is a savage 220f topped with a Leupold ultimate slam 3-9x40 SABR reticle. The stock id never seen before but it's how I purchased it! The gun changed shotgun hunting for me big time and highly highly recommend it to anyone that does shotgun hunting or is restricted to shotgun!
I hunt in southern Ontario, we do grow some big deer around here with racks much larger but this one and my last one tip the scales well above average!

View attachment 157103

Congratulations good solid heart

Thanks for your reply. Great job!

MT,

I don't know if you're into the slug gun thing or not, but the Savage is reputed to be as accurate as most bolt action rifles, and has the correct rifling twist for the newer high-velocity slug loads. It, and another similar slug gun made by Browning, are both solid 200-yard deer slayers. There are also some custom slug guns that are hot performers. There's a whole section on this forum about slug guns, and there is a ton of expertise in these threads. It will get you up to date on what's going on in the slug gun world. Check it out.

Nick

MT,

I don't know if you're into the slug gun thing or not, but the Savage is reputed to be as accurate as most bolt action rifles, and has the correct rifling twist for the newer high-velocity slug loads. It, and another similar slug gun made by Browning, are both solid 200-yard deer slayers. There are also some custom slug guns that are hot performers. There's a whole section on this forum about slug guns, and there is a ton of expertise in these threads. It will get you up to date on what's going on in the slug gun world. Check it out.

Nick
Thank you!

View attachment 157103

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.