Machinist moonlighting in Gunsmithing

brainey64

I am building my own rifle with my Ruger M77 MKII 7mm Rem Mag Action.

I just finished my Picatinny Rail with 20 MOA and will begin to drill my receiver.

My question is, just what depth do you drill the receiver at. Is there a certain recommend depth you want to go?

Any advice would be great.

Last edited:

I just finished my Picatinny Rail with 20 MOA and will begin to drill my receiver.

My question is, just what depth do you drill the receiver at. Is there a certain recommend depth you want to go?

I have never drilled a Ruger for a rail, but recently rebarreled one of the older tang saftey rugers.

Some one had drilled the front reciever ring and not the rear? I figured he may have had problems and decided against it half way thru. He had pushed quite a bur thru on both holes.

Normally the scope base screw holes are through drilled With the barrel off on the front receiver
ring and the same on the back.(It is easier to tap all the way through)

They must be cleaned up on the inside of the action very well.

Then the screws must be fitted not to go all the way through to the inside.

The screws should have a minimum of 5 threads of engagement.

If you don't remove the barrel the front screw hole will have to be blind drilled. (Don't drill into
the barrel tenon).

J E CUSTOM

Thank you very much for the information. I was not liking the idea of a blind hole on the barrel side. Barrel is off and I will just do thru holes.

Much appreciated!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.