M77 Frontier build

MOOSE39465

Have a friend that is enterested in building a rifle. He has a action from a Ruger M77 300wsm Frontier that he could build a rifle on. Do you think the action is good enough for a long range rifle or does he need a Model700 action?

Rugers can be built but. . . . a lot of smiths don't like to work on them, they are more difficult to set up in a fixture to true them because of the design of the action.

The aftermarket support leaves a lot to be desired for Rugers as well.

They can be built but it takes a little more effort.

I think the Ruger action is a solid action and I like the controlled feed mauser style bolt.

The angled action screw requires a little bit of planning when you bed it.

All in all if you are willing to put in the work and find a competent smith who is willing to work on them, you can have a solid gun built off of the Ruger action.

If you don't want the hassle you can build a winchester, remington, or savage a bit easier.

I have a 300 WM M77 mark II with a shillen barrel, H-S precision stock, Timney trigger, and Murphey precision picatinney rail. I regularly shoot steel at 1K, and this spring I hit a 3' X 4' steel target at 1 mile. I shot my antelope at 657 and 476 yards this fall with it and a bear at 352 yards last year.

I build a lot of M77 actions because they are dirt cheap and they will yield as good of accuracy as any other common action. The big draw back is the integral ring mounts which can be taken care of lickity split. In my opinion they are also a number one choice for building a Dangerous game rifle off of. ( lots to it but said )

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.