Lyman Tru-Line Jr

kopcicle

I recently got inundated with odd, old, weird, and curiously effective reloading tools.
Remember the Ideal Lyman 310 combo and nutcracker tools?
How about the Lyman Tru-Line Jr? It came with multiple die plates milled, drilled, threaded, for 5/8"-30TPI as well as standard 7/8"-14TPI. This gave me some ideas as I have a mill and a lathe.
Then a brother from another mother shows up with a second Tru-Line Jr and a bag of dies.
This just hours after I found another Tru-Line Jr on a local gun board for $40.
I'm beginning to wonder if these things breed in shipping or just come in bunches.
I now a combo tool for brother's 32-20, original, 1884 pat date.
A 30 U.S. (30-40 Krag) tool that now has .303 dies living in it for her custom Martini-Enfield
A .270 win nutcracker for neck sizing adventures at the range.
Die sets for 32-20, .303, .270, 45ACP, 38-357, 6.5x55, and I still have to go through a bag of jellybeans.

This thread is worthless without pics.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 28
  • bag_o_dies.jpg
    bag_o_dies.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 32_20_left.jpg
    32_20_left.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 22
Not a chance.

The 32-20 with integral mold is caliber and cartridge specific.
The 30 US above is enough like the .303 British that with the proper dies they are interchangeable.

Later the Alloy handles could be configured for multiple calibers within pistol (short) and rifle (long).

All of the 310 series other than the smaller straight wall pistol calibers are neck size only. With regular annealing some cartridges will last a very long time. Others like the 32-20 were very thin at the case mouth and didn't last as long.

My first use of a nutcracker was for feeding a Gen II SAA/'73 Winchester.

Curiously I didn't see another one util years later when a couple of old greybeards were neck sizing .270 for load development at a local range. Imagine child like grins on their faces as a node appeared and 140gr bullets started going through the same hole.

Some years passed and I own that .270 and the reloading gear. I've had some sort of "nutcracker" for over thirty years and I'm still learning the ins and outs of the tools.

Years ago I loaded "cat sneeze" loads for an impromptu, improvised indoor home range made from single 0 buckshot. This was fine for the Ruger 32-32H&R single six.
Since I don't have any 00 buck here at the moment I was wondering if anyone has tried to push a 00 through a .3125" - .314" sizer in either a press or the hand tools.
I'd probably load it with a "lube booger" fabric or felt wad behind it just to keep the bore wet.

We have 32ACP, 32 S&W long, 32 H&R, 32-20, and, .303 British here.
The 30 US (30-40 Krag)nutcracker is specifically for accessorizing her custom Martini-Enfield .303 British.

The presses just "appeared" one day and continue to breed.
I'm a bit more than a passing machinist so I'll be making turret plates for 5/8 (actually about .609") -30TPI as well as 7/8-14TPI
It's just 1" x 5" x every 90 or 72 degrees.

I'll help source, or trade, or machine, but I think because of my limited space and needs I'll be hanging on to this lot.