LRH 5th Anniversary (and a celebratory bash)

Dave King

Five Years!

My how time flies, it seems like not too long ago there were a few email exchanged between folks as a means of communicating about long range hunting without being unmercifully flamed and Len came up with the forum and now I have rubbed raw finger, grey hair and a wealth of long range hunting info... okay... I'm dawdling.

What should we do to celebrate???

First of course we should thank Len! Thanks Len!

Now that we have that pleasantry out of the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif let's figure what to do.

Some options/offerings.

1. We scrounge around and discover a LRH site member in our neighborhood and make a party!

2. We each root through our box of "I have it but won't ever use it" and list it in the classifieds sending all the proceeds to me... NOT!

3. We come to agreement on a set date and time and each imbibe individually but yet as a group! (This is easy and there aren't too many hours in a day that I can't accommodate such an event, or two.)

4. We buy Len a lifetime supply of pre-buttered toast.

5. We go about our business as usual and have a party once we get to 10 years.

6. We accept options on what to do from other members (perhaps better options than I offered).

7. We lock and or delete this thread.

8. We thank Len for having us in his living room and tolerating our occasional flaps.

(Pick as many as you like, mix and match if you will.)

3 then 4 then 3 again.

How about everyone takes a picture on april 11 of themselves, their best rifle and their best group or the longest kill. If they don't save their targets like I do (the best ones anyway) there is plenty of time to go make a new one. No load work ups. These pictures should represent the best we've got. Hopefully they will be shot at over 300 or so.

Then post the pictures with a short write up on what they learned here that made them so good.

Then in 5 years (or maybe once every year. ) when we do it again we will have something to reference to see how much we have improved again.

Just a thought.

4ked horns idea would be fun. Get a face for all the names out there. See some gear, and hopefully by april 11, my RUM will be done and loads worked up for it, so I can join in with a group or two.....and of course some dead stuff.
I'm new to this site, so my opinion is lower on the totem pole though..

<font color="blue">1. We scrounge around and discover a LRH site member in our neighborhood and make a party!

4. We buy Len a lifetime supply of pre-buttered toast.

8. We thank Len for having us in his living room and tolerating our occasional flaps. </font>

(1) - This thought has crossed my mind several times in the past. Even talked about it with a friend of mine about hosting something similar. I know there are several here in our area as well as surrounding states, who might be close enough to make the trip.

We have similar get togethers for distant casting events, and surf fishing, and get folks from as far as England and Whales to attend. I guess it all depends on how you set it up and plan it out. In the above mentioned events, we have swap tables, and siminars or clinics, on rigging and techniques, as well as discounted one on one lessons, to help cover some travel cost for the pro's. Just ideas. <font color="brown">(One tidbit though, I am in no way, form, or fashion, any good at planning, or organizing.)</font>

(4) - Heck, I can pitch in on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(8) - This is a definate must, so Thanks again Len.

Less than a month to go and we are currently 8 people away from our 6000th member. This is an exciting time for the LRH forums. Plus I have been shooting some kick *** groups lately so that makes it even better.

Come on folks, How are we going to celebrate this 5 year mark?
beerchug.gif

Len, what do you want to do?
chicken.gif

Would that be white, wheat, rye, pumpernickel, buttermilk, sour dough, twelve grain or cinnamon raisin?

How about the butter???

Land-O-Lakes sweet butter of just some old time Oleo (white or with the yellow dye mixed in)?

Margarine.

My 30 year old kids heard from me lately the story of massaging the color button on the bag of white Oleo.

I remember that once my Dad came back from a business trip to Illinois to our home in Wisconsin (the dairy state) with a contraband supply of pre-colored margarine. Anyone here remember those days?

What Len needs is a milk cow, churn and butter mold with a elk head cutout in it.

Yes Len, some of us can even remember the days before margarine. A cow was milked twice a day. Cream was skimmed off and saved to make butter. We had about a five or six gallon pottery crock for a churn and a small electic motor with a paddle. The butter was separated from the "buttermilk" and was salted and kneaded to get the liquid out and then put in "molds" and put in the "fridgidaire". (Circa 1954, Alabama hill country).

I think my kids would leave home if they had to milk a cow twice a day and had no TV.

Len

I do recall the big whoopla over the Oleo thing (that's why I mentioned it in my first post), we didn't mix in the coloring and left it whiteish (as I recall). The neighbors were dairy farmers (of course) and they we're not too upset with the Oleo (it must have been less expensive for them to buy). The next door farmer had "milk toast" for breakfast nearly every day, pretty much pure cream and a thick toasted slice of home-made bread. I still miss the days helping out on that farm and having "raw" milk. Every once in a while I get around a dairy farm and get a jug of raw milk for drinking (my wife hates the stuff... says its too thick).

I'm not sure but I think that margarine in Quebec(canada) still can't be coloured.

I'm not even old and I ask "electric butter Churn?" what happened to the old hand crank?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts